How much / what weight backing, for a wide-use 8 weight?

Old December 1st, 2005, 03:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default How much / what weight backing, for a wide-use 8 weight?

Hi all,

I'm normally a trout fisherman, and thus far all the rods I own are 5
weights and under. This Xmas I'll be getting an 8-weight set-up, to
use for, well, basically everything else I come across: stripers or
bluefish out at Montauk (or even from the piers here in NYC), small
barracudas and what have you down in the Keys, the occasional Salmon
trip (for example, out at the Salmon River in Pulaski NY), and Steelies
wherever.

I was looking at getting the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor IV reel, which
is listed for 7/8 weights... only, I see that when using an 8-weight
line, I'd only get about 100 yards of 20lb dacron backing.

I've read so much bad stuff about Gel spun being dangerous, and in fact
I already have the bad habit of letting my finger touch the line
occasionally, so I'm thinking I should stick with Dacron. But my
questions a

Is 20# heavy enough for the uses I mentioned (as opposed to 30lb)?
And, is 100 yards enough?

If the answer is no to either, should I maybe be looking for the next
size up reel, or a different reel altogether?

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts...

Tim

Old December 1st, 2005, 03:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Tim,
I was in the same predicament and first purchased the Battenkill Mid Arbor
IV, to have 8WF line put on by Orvis. As they tried to do this they
noticed there just wasn't enough room with the recommended backing. With
the line full, it was interfering with the frame. Orvis was very kind in
letting me trade the Battenkill Mid Arbor IV for the Battenikill Mid Arbor V
for the same price. Since the IV was on sale and the V was not, I told
them I was happy to pay more, but they told me it was their mistake and this
was the way they take care of their customers. There was no problem with
the V holding the 8WF line and backing.
The Orvis dealer I was dealing with is in Palo Alto and the manager is
Steve, there number is: (650) 322-4900
-tom

Old December 1st, 2005, 03:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

What about 150 yards? I just spoke to a guy at my local Orvis shop,
and he says that those listings are wrong, and he regularly spools 150
yards of 20# backing onto these with, say, bonefish lines. (And more
if you're using something smaller, like an intermediate).

Old December 1st, 2005, 04:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Tom - Did you / do you feel that the V balances fine with your 8-weight
rod? It's not too... weighty?

Old December 1st, 2005, 05:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Yes, I agree. For all my lawn casting of rods, and playing with reels
in the stores, once I get out on the water I never really think about
them. But -- though it doesn't happen much -- when that line is
running out and you're staring at the dwindling backing, there's
nothing you're thinking of more. In fact the entire world is reduced
to whether or not you've got that extra 50 yards you need... (I've
never run out yet, but I've come painfully close.)

I think I'll go for the V. Thanks for all the advice, and thanks for
the direct report, Tom.

Tim

Old December 1st, 2005, 06:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

The Lamson looks nice, but it's also a good bit more expensive.
(Trying to keep the cost on the reel part of this down.)

Tell me this: assuming I do get the V, that should give me plenty of
room for backing. Should I then be thinking 30#, just in case,
because, why not? Or is it really going to be better to stick with
20#, and use the extra room for extra length?