Line twist

Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:54 PM
Brian Perry

Default Line twist

Please tell me someone,what is the correct way to wind new line onto a
fixed spool reel.
Brian
Old February 3rd, 2004, 04:53 PM
Zoe

I personally use the bottom end of the rod through the eye, and at an angle,
get someone to tension the line with a rag, whilst I reel it on the spool.

om...

Old February 3rd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Activeviii

don't tension the line with the rag as you heat the line and weaken it, if
you do it that way then take it off the spool with a pencil thought the hole
and tension the spool with a rag.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 06:13 PM
Ergo

Brian Perry wrote:
Please tell me someone,what is the correct way to wind new line onto a
fixed spool reel.
Brian

Make sure the line goes onto the reel the same way as it comes off the
spool.

Try here towards the bottom of the page

http://www.floatsgone.btinternet.co.uk/basics/reels.htm

HTH

--
Ergo
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Old February 3rd, 2004, 08:37 PM
ChurchYardYew

The correct way to load a fixed spool reel is to have the line coming off
the spool in the same direction as the bale arm is rotating. Threading a
pencil through and loading like that will create a twist, this method is
only suitable for loading centre pin reels.
Use the butt section of a rod, attatch reel, lay the spool of line on the
floor directly under the butt ring, thread new line through ring and fix to
reel. Wind the line slowly onto the reel under tension.

Martin.
===============

Old February 4th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Zoe

Really? How much can a line heat up in 10ms?

I would be more worried about crimping a shot weakening the line personally.

Old February 4th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Baal

My sentiments and most line manufacturers sentiments entirely.

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

http://www.helden.co.uk

Old February 5th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Michael Stokes

The best way is to get a bucket of water and throw the spool of line in,
then use a cloth to dry it out as it goes onto the reel, the fact its in the
bucket means it will naturaly come off the way its meant to, thus
eliminating any twist

Old February 7th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Jim Murray

I've never understood this one; if the spool revolves in the bucket then
what's the difference between that and using the "pencil" method? If the
spool doesn't revolve then how do you know the line is coming off the
*correct* side of the spool? It's a 50/50 chance. Only advantage I can see
is that the friction created by the water probably gives about the right
amount of tension to the line, but as for avoiding line twist...?

Jim.