Ping! All computer geeks!

Old October 16th, 2006, 02:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mr. Opus McDopus

Default Ping! All computer geeks!

My 'puter keeps locking up? I get these aqua green vertical lines on the
screen and then the **** hits the fan!

Any ideas? HELP!

Op

Old October 16th, 2006, 02:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Merrill P. L. Worthington

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:

My 'puter keeps locking up? I get these aqua green vertical lines on the
screen and then the **** hits the fan!

Any ideas? HELP!

Op

Possibly the video card is faiing.

Old October 16th, 2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 21:39:25 -0400, "Mr. Opus McDopus"
wrote:

My 'puter keeps locking up? I get these aqua green vertical lines on the
screen and then the **** hits the fan!

Any ideas? HELP!

Op

Does this explain the lunch you blew in wayno's general direction on rofft?
What the hell was that mess?

When was the last time you blew out all the dust bunnies from inside your
computer case? And checked that all the fans are operating?

/daytripper
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote ...
My 'puter keeps locking up? I get these aqua green vertical lines on the
screen and then the **** hits the fan!

Any ideas? HELP!

Stop looking at the porno sites. Those spyware thingies will kill yer
machine.

Seriously, sounds like a video card issue or an overheating problem, but
it's tough to say without a better description of events when the **** hits
the fan.

Assuming you're virus free and you've checked for and deleted any spyware
(AVG Free for the viruses, and AdAware or Windows Defender for the spyware),
then....

If it just locks up, as in no response from keyboard/mouse, I'd wonder about
anything else that may be running in the background. Are you downloading
something? Is a proggy trying to update itself? Will it come back to life if
you leave it for a while (15 minutes)? Does control-alt-delete get a
response? Can you boot into safe mode (hit F8 a million times during
boot-up)? Does this help the problem?

If no response from CAD or safe mode, then my guess is a hardware problem.
Is your fan running? Is the 'puter in an area with good airflow? Fans break
over time, and overheating causes funky stuff. Is the fan exhaust thingy
covered with dust?

More info, por favor.

Dan

Old October 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opie

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote in message
My 'puter keeps locking up? I get these aqua green vertical lines on the
screen and then the **** hits the fan!

Any ideas? HELP!

Op

Thanks guyz. I took the 'puter into the tech support here at the
university--free service and all that--they called a little bit ago and said
the IDE failure I discovered in the "boot diagnostics" was a hard drive
issue. They are a Dell repair center, so they contacted Dell, found out I
was still under warranty and ordered me a hard drive. They'll install it
tomorrow!

I love workin' for the university!

Op

Old October 16th, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Skwala

"Merrill P. L. Worthington" wrote in message

Mr. Opus McDopus wrote:

My 'puter keeps locking up? I get these aqua green vertical lines on the
screen and then the **** hits the fan!

Any ideas? HELP!

Op

Possibly the video card is faiing.

It could be faiing*, or it may have become loose...