technical Roff surprize

Old September 27th, 2006, 02:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Joe McIntosh

Default technical Roff surprize

just realized that when I delete one news group all other news groups are
also deleted-----after nine years of using this thing I still learn
something every day.

Just think of all the wonderful salmagundi that I have wasted.

Any suggestions of a method of deleting all Roff mess without wiping out
other newsgroups? I use AT&T world

jOE

Old September 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Joe McIntosh" wrote ...

Any suggestions of a method of deleting all Roff mess without wiping out
other newsgroups? I use AT&T world

If your OE is set up like mine, on the left side, you'll have the "local
folders" and the news group folders. Right click on the newsgroup name, and
click properties. Up top, click on "local file." You have four choices:
Compact, which OE does every now and then on it's own; Remove, Delete, and
Reset, all with the various descriptions. Personally, I tend to reset the
various groups every now and then, but I'm not really sure why; just a
habit, I guess.

A suggestion: Before you spend too much time deleting headers, resetting
groups, and such, have a look at this program:
http://www.oehelp.com/oebackup/default.aspx

Scroll down a little to get to the downloads. Works well, and you can't beat
the price.

OE has a lot of problems, and maybe switching to Agent or Xnews or the like
would make sense, but I guess I'm a creature of habit...

Dan

Old September 27th, 2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Skwala

"Daniel-San" (Rot13) wrote in message

"Joe McIntosh" wrote ...

[...]

Alternatively, you could click on "View" in your top tool bar, select
"Current View", then "Hide Read Messages".

Once this is done, and while in a news group, Go back to the top tool bar,
select "Edit", then "Mark All Read".

The downloaded messages and headers will still be there, but you won't be
seeing them, unless you want to.

Skwala

Old September 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JoeSpareBedroom

"Skwala" wrote in message
news

[...]

Not sure what the goal is here, but if he doesn't want to see a certain
person's posts, just highlight the subject lines and hit Delete. They will
not be downloaded again. If you highlight the first message in a thread
which is collapsed, it'll take the whole thread with it (usually).

Old September 27th, 2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Skwala" wrote in message
news

[...]

Other things to try:
What I do is read only the subjects you want in ROFF, then in the files
folder, right click on the newsgroup, in this case
"rec.outdoors.fishing.fly". Click on "Catch Up" it automatically marks
everything in ROFF as has been read. Then as Skwala says, go to "Views"
"Current Views" and "Hide Read Messages" This will now be your default, so
all you have to do is Click on "Catch Up" after you read the what you wanted
in ROFF. All you will now see is current new posts in ROFF.
fwiw,
-tom

Old September 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Skwala

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Skwala" wrote in message
news

"Daniel-San" (Rot13) wrote in message

"Joe McIntosh" wrote ...

Any suggestions of a method of deleting all Roff mess without wiping
out other newsgroups? I use AT&T world

Not sure what the goal is here, but if he doesn't want to see a certain
person's posts, just highlight the subject lines and hit Delete. They will
not be downloaded again. If you highlight the first message in a thread
which is collapsed, it'll take the whole thread with it (usually).

I might have misunderstood, but I was thinking:

Any suggestions of a method of deleting all Roff mess without wiping
out other newsgroups? I use AT&T world

indicated he was looking for a method to unclutter ROFF from time to time...

And that he was currently using the Maintenance function under tools in the
top tool bar.

Old September 27th, 2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mr. Opus McDopus

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message
Other things to try:
What I do is read only the subjects you want in ROFF, then in the files
folder, right click on the newsgroup, in this case
"rec.outdoors.fishing.fly". Click on "Catch Up" it automatically marks
everything in ROFF as has been read. Then as Skwala says, go to "Views"
"Current Views" and "Hide Read Messages" This will now be your default,
so all you have to do is Click on "Catch Up" after you read the what you
wanted in ROFF. All you will now see is current new posts in ROFF.
fwiw,
-tom

Yeah, but as "Daniel-San" wrote, all he has to do, if Joe uses OE to read
his NGs, is to right click on rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, in his pull-down
menu, then click properties, "local files," "Delete," "Compact," and OK.

This refreshes the current NG that you are reading, and you won't see
messages in any threads, until someone makes a new post to any thread. The
only reason that I reset is to go back and read a post that I have
previously deleted.

Op

Old September 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote in message

[...]

That's the good part about OE, you can customize the newsgroups to your
taste.
I use "Catch Up" for the same reason, to sometimes on rare occasions reread
a post that has already been marked as read.
-tom

Old September 27th, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mr. Opus McDopus

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

That's the good part about OE, you can customize the newsgroups to your
taste.
I use "Catch Up" for the same reason, to sometimes on rare occasions
reread a post that has already been marked as read.
-tom

Are you ****in' insane?! I can't believe that you would even sugges...

oops, sorry about that. I get carried away some times.

I"'m with you Tom. I like OE for the very same reasons. There are many
that damn OE, but I have always had pretty good luck with it. I've tried
other news readers and found them to be cumbersome to use and view. OE does
what I want it to, so far.

Op

Old September 28th, 2006, 02:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Nakashima

"Mr. Opus McDopus" wrote in message

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

That's the good part about OE, you can customize the newsgroups to your
taste.
I use "Catch Up" for the same reason, to sometimes on rare occasions
reread a post that has already been marked as read.
-tom

Are you ****in' insane?! I can't believe that you would even sugges...

oops, sorry about that. I get carried away some times.

I"'m with you Tom. I like OE for the very same reasons. There are many
that damn OE, but I have always had pretty good luck with it. I've tried
other news readers and found them to be cumbersome to use and view. OE
does what I want it to, so far.

Op

Pretty funny Op, had me going there at first, was just about ready to put on
my Bill Cowher spit spray protection shield.
When computers started to become a household name, the purpose was to make
one's life easier.
My first computer was the Macintosh Plus back in '86. The big selling point
was "One Megabyte of RAM"
Hard to believe how far computers have come today and not sure if my life is
any easier by using them.
fwiw,
-tom