Getting started flyfishing on a budget...

Old August 6th, 2006, 06:06 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

Default Getting started flyfishing on a budget...

Howdy,

If you're just getting started, or want to get a backup rig, here's a
soup to nuts, get on the river proposal for doing this for about $100,
with a pretty snazzy rig, if you ask me. Circa 1950 glass rods can be
excellent. They were produced at a time when they needed to compare
favorably with bamboo to be successful. There was a lot of resistence
to fishing with 'plastic', you can imagine!, so these rods had to be
swell! If anyone wants to send me a circa 1950's berkley parametric,
that is my dream rod.

Anyway, I have no interest in the following sites, just went shopping
on the internet tryinig to keep my virtual rig at around that hundred
dollar limit. Pretty easy to do. Pretty easy to spend $1000 too, for
that matter!

Estimated w/ shipping...

Rod: $20 Ebay
VINTAGE ST. #990-HD CROIX 9FT. DOUBLE POWER FIBERGLASS FLY ROD.
Very good++ condition. Please see photos for details.
http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-990-HD-ST-CR...QQcmdZViewItem

Reel: $30 Troutlet.com
Martin Mountain Brook Disc Drag Fly Reel
http://www.troutlet.com/Scripts/prod...?idproduct=426

Line: $10 DiscountFishingInc
Fly Line Factory Seconds -Floating Price: $8.50
http://www.discountfishinginc.com/Or...orySystemId=17

Total for hardwa $60.

Budget:
Flies $25
Backing $5
Tippet: $6
Nippers: $4

Total: $100

Halfordian Golfer
A cash flow runs through it

Old August 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
jeffc

wrote in message
ups.com...
Howdy,

If you're just getting started, or want to get a backup rig, here's a
soup to nuts, get on the river proposal for doing this for about $100,
with a pretty snazzy rig, if you ask me. Circa 1950 glass rods can be
excellent.

Yuck. Talk about going backward. I can think of no reason at all for a
beginner not to fish with graphite, unless he knows for some strange reason
that a soft fiberglass rod just so happens to be the correct tool for him.
And I can't understand how that would be so.

Old August 7th, 2006, 03:26 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Billy Boy

Yuck. Talk about a fly fisherman snob. I had heard there were such animals but hoped it
wasn't true. But, as with wine drinkers, I guess there are snobs everywhere...........

Sad............

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:56:28 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Howdy,

If you're just getting started, or want to get a backup rig, here's a
soup to nuts, get on the river proposal for doing this for about $100,
with a pretty snazzy rig, if you ask me. Circa 1950 glass rods can be
excellent.

Yuck. Talk about going backward. I can think of no reason at all for a
beginner not to fish with graphite, unless he knows for some strange reason
that a soft fiberglass rod just so happens to be the correct tool for him.
And I can't understand how that would be so.

Billy Boy

To reply correct [at] and [dot]
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Tim J.

Billy Boy typed:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Howdy,

If you're just getting started, or want to get a backup rig, here's
a soup to nuts, get on the river proposal for doing this for about
$100, with a pretty snazzy rig, if you ask me. Circa 1950 glass
rods can be excellent.

Yuck. Talk about going backward. I can think of no reason at all
for a beginner not to fish with graphite, unless he knows for some
strange reason that a soft fiberglass rod just so happens to be the
correct tool for him. And I can't understand how that would be so.

Yuck. Talk about a fly fisherman snob. I had heard there were such
animals but hoped it wasn't true. But, as with wine drinkers, I guess
there are snobs everywhere...........

Hmmm. . . I don't see Jeff's comments as snobbish at all. Graphite can be as
cheap (or as expensive) as fiberglass.

Sad............

What? The conclusion-jumping? ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old August 7th, 2006, 08:19 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Opie

"Billy Boy" billyboy[at]comcast[dot]net wrote in message
Yuck. Talk about a fly fisherman snob. I had heard there were such animals
but hoped it
wasn't true. But, as with wine drinkers, I guess there are snobs
everywhere...........

Sad............

Um, it's not unheard of to purchase a $750.00 fiberglass rod.

Op --Now, back to whine and cheeze party--

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 12:56:28 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

roups.com...

Old August 8th, 2006, 03:50 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
[email protected]

wrote in message
roups.com...
Howdy,

If you're just getting started, or want to get a backup rig, here's a
soup to nuts, get on the river proposal for doing this for about $100,
with a pretty snazzy rig, if you ask me. Circa 1950 glass rods can be
excellent.

Yuck. Talk about going backward. I can think of no reason at all for a
beginner not to fish with graphite, unless he knows for some strange
reason
that a soft fiberglass rod just so happens to be the correct tool for him.
And I can't understand how that would be so.

Billy Boy

To reply correct [at] and [dot]

Hey man...if there's a good graphite rod on ebay for $20...go for it
dude!

Please keep in mind that after WWII when the new epoxies and glass came
out, the manufacturers had an extremely rough time competing with
bamboo. The cane anglers wouldn't think of fishing with a 'plastic'
rod. As a result, they had to be excellent in all form and the casting
had to be slow and deliberate, with the 'heft' of bamboo. One of the
first rods I cast was a Fenwick glass and i remember it as exquisite.
Guy's dad was ****ed we had it out if I recall. I think he got spanked!

Anyway, I wish I could have bought that St. Croix on Ebay, looked
pretty sweet if you ask me! As I mentioned earlier as well, having a
spare is cool. We took a bunch of scouts out last summer and Tom and I
had the small troop covered with the rods we had, some of which were
these glass rods.

I believe our friend Dr. Andrew Herd has a chapter on this in his book.
"Fly Fishing History" where he pretty much says the same thing...

http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/andrew_herd.htm

Your pal,

TBone