Computer Geek Alert!

Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

Default Computer Geek Alert!

I have no idea how, but for some reason all of my newsgroups posts are
backed-up and upon deletion sent to Recycle Bin? What can I do to remedy
this? More than anything, it's annoying.

Thanks,

Op

Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson

"Opus" wrote in message

I have no idea how, but for some reason all of my newsgroups posts are
backed-up and upon deletion sent to Recycle Bin? What can I do to remedy
this? More than anything, it's annoying.

This depends on your Operating System. The way
Windows works, deleted files go into the Recycled Bin
(in case you change your mind. Anything in the RB
can be undeleted at will.) After default time (programmable?)
the RB deletes permanently anything older than X days: and
you can at will go to the RB and delete (permanently)
whatever you select. For theoretical information do
/ start / help / index / and type in the box RECYC

I have a notion Apple computer RBs work this way too.

If this is unhelpful, repost describing more precisely
what you want done that is not being done.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
This depends on your Operating System. The way
Windows works, deleted files go into the Recycled Bin
(in case you change your mind. Anything in the RB
can be undeleted at will.) After default time (programmable?)
the RB deletes permanently anything older than X days: and
you can at will go to the RB and delete (permanently)
whatever you select. For theoretical information do
/ start / help / index / and type in the box RECYC

I use Windows XP and in the past my posts to newsgroups have never gone to
Recycle Bin. I have no idea how I caused this to happen, but I want to
return to the good old dayz when I deleted them in OE and they disappeared
and weren't sent to Recycle. They are BAK files, according to Properties?

This is the file location, but I can't get search to find it?

C:\Documents and Setttings\Mark Harrington\Local Setting\Applications
Data\Identities\....

Op

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"rw" wrote in message
ink.net...
Opus wrote:
I have no idea how, but for some reason all of my newsgroups posts are
backed-up and upon deletion sent to Recycle Bin? What can I do to remedy
this? More than anything, it's annoying.

Thanks,

Check your string.

I would have to know what a "string" is first, right?

Op

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Opus wrote:
"rw" wrote in message
ink.net...

Opus wrote:

I have no idea how, but for some reason all of my newsgroups posts are
backed-up and upon deletion sent to Recycle Bin? What can I do to remedy
this? More than anything, it's annoying.

Thanks,

Check your string.

I would have to know what a "string" is first, right?

Try pushing stuff. When you find something you can't push, that's it.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus

"rw" wrote in message
ink.net...

Try pushing stuff. When you find something you can't push, that's it.

I found that the only things I couldn't push were outside, several trees,
my car--in park, with hand brake on, and the house, do you think...

Op --nevermind I forgot that you never think--

Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson

"Opus" wrote in message

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
For theoretical information do
/ start / help / index / and type in the box RECYC

I use Windows XP and in the past my posts to newsgroups have never gone to
Recycle Bin. I have no idea how I caused this to happen, but I want to
return to the good old dayz when I deleted them in OE and they disappeared
and weren't sent to Recycle. They are BAK files, according to Properties?

This is the file location, but I can't get search to find it?

Windows files and folders can be set either "Hidden" or
normal. In order to protect unskilled users, the Windows
installation process makes lots of system folders Hidden
-- which may also block them from the / Find / File routine.
Experienced users (who back up essential data regularly and
are reasonably sure they are not going to delete anything
essential) prefer to reset everything normal (unhidden.)
(The Undelete routine allows us to restore from the Recycle Bin
anything we deleted in error.)

C:\Documents and Setttings\Mark Harrington\Local Setting\Applications
Data\Identities\....

This is the Windows default location to store backups of emails
and newsgroup messages. Their format depends on what
software you use for these. Outlook Express v.6 stores these
as one file for each email or NG folder in DBX format. (This is
recognized by Outlook Express, thus manipulable. You can
copy duplicates etc. via / File / Import, delete what you do
not want, send material for storage via / File Export and so on.)

If you want to investigate further
1. Configure your system to display (reveal) File Types (the
second part of the name, usually 3-letter suffix after the dot.)
2. Post here the filetype of files held in folder
C:\Documents and Setttings\Mark Harrington\Local Setting\Applications
Data\Identities\....
3. You can experiment by yourself by making a new folder
in your email software, then importing stuff to it via / File / Import /
Messages
and seeing whether you can read items OK, selectively copy
or delete them and so on.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opie

[...]

Thanks Don, I'll look into this as soon as my computer comes back from the
shop, for other issues.

Op

Old February 25th, 2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george

"Opus" wrote in message

[...]

I never saw the most likely cause of this listed here, so I will give it.
If you go to ToolsOptionsMaintenance you will see settings on
automatically compressing you newsgroup/mail folder files and you'll also
see a button to "clean up now". If you either pressed that button (good to
do periodically) or if the automatic conditions you set were met, Windows
will compress your newsgroup/mail folders (it actually creates new ones) and
the old ones are renamed with a .BAK extension and put into the recycle bin.

HTH,
George

PS--This is bad...now I've responded to TWO Geek question here in one day
and no flyfishing threads... Gotta rethink my priorities!