What Vise Do You Use

Old August 9th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Frank Reid

Default What Vise Do You Use

I know, this should be over on the tying group, but this group is a bit more
active.
What tying vise do you use?
If you could buy a new one tomorrow, what would it be?

I'll start:
Use the Danvise (original Danica, not Orvis)
Want to buy a Norvise.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Old August 9th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid wrote:
I know, this should be over on the tying group, but this group is a bit more
active.
What tying vise do you use?
If you could buy a new one tomorrow, what would it be?

I'll start:
Use the Danvise (original Danica, not Orvis)
Want to buy a Norvise.

I use a Regal. I like having a flat spot for
resting my left hand.

I've been told that if I use a true rotary
for awhile I'll never go back to the Regal,
but I'm not a production tyer. I tie one or
two glasses of Laphroaig worth at a time and
that's it.

So, if I could buy a new one tomorrow, I wouldn't.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old August 9th, 2005, 06:56 PM
JR

Frank Reid wrote:

What tying vise do you use?
If you could buy a new one tomorrow, what would it be?

Have and use both a Renzetti traveler cam and a Regal. Tend to use the
Renzetti for flies smaller than #10 and the Regal for steelhead and other
large flies (even though I do have the midge jaws for it).

I never use the rotary function of the Renzetti--force of habit, I
suppose; I learned on a non-rotary vise. If I lost both tomorrow, I'd buy
a new Regal.

JR
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Frank Reid

I never use the rotary function of the Renzetti--force of habit, I
suppose; I learned on a non-rotary vise. If I lost both tomorrow, I'd buy
a new Regal.

I never did either, but once Clavemeister Tom started me on it, I'm hooked.
Want more speed.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Old August 9th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Wayne Knight

Frank Reid wrote:
I know, this should be over on the tying group, but this group is a bit more
active.
What tying vise do you use?

Depending on my mood, usually an HMH Spartan, also use a Dyna King
Barracuda and Renzetti Presentation 3000.

If you could buy a new one tomorrow, what would it be?

Another HMH, probably the Standard

Old August 9th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Frank Reid" wrote in message

If you could buy a new one tomorrow, what would it be?

Ditto on the thoughts about Regal, I have the non-rotary. It's given me
years of service with no trouble.

I have never tied with a rotary, so I really don't know if I would find the
benefit. The Regal rotary would probably be a nice setup if you like that
feature.

JT

Old August 9th, 2005, 07:19 PM
George Cleveland

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:38:55 -0400, "Frank Reid"
wrote:

I know, this should be over on the tying group, but this group is a bit more
active.
What tying vise do you use?
If you could buy a new one tomorrow, what would it be?

I'll start:
Use the Danvise (original Danica, not Orvis)
Want to buy a Norvise.

Griffin 2A. Cheap and works for me.

g.c.
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Frank Reid

Another HMH, probably the Standard

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/F...ML/002716.html

Awe, go for it. You know you want it.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Old August 9th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Dave Martel

"Frank Reid" wrote in message
I know, this should be over on the tying group, but this group is a bit
more active.
What tying vise do you use?
If you could buy a new one tomorrow, what would it be?

I'll start:
Use the Danvise (original Danica, not Orvis)
Want to buy a Norvise.

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Abel Supreme. Wonderful vise. I started on the venerable old Thompson "A";
went to the Regal rotary Bronze Pedestal...then to the Abel. If I ever buy
another vise it would probably be either a LAW (Lawrence A. Waldron) from
England...or the Renzetti Master.

I really don't understand having a rotary feature and not taking advantage
of it. I'd be lost without the "true rotary" feature of my Abel.

Dave M

Old August 9th, 2005, 07:37 PM
rich brenz

Frank Reid wrote:
I know, this should be over on the tying group, but this group is a bit more
active.
What tying vise do you use?
If you could buy a new one tomorrow, what would it be?

I'll start:
Use the Danvise (original Danica, not Orvis)
Want to buy a Norvise.

Nor-vise...I made a new knob to perfectly counterbalance the weight of
the midge jaws. Tried most of the others mentioned in this thread.

Rich Brenz