Oval Tinsel

Old October 26th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Hooked

Default Oval Tinsel

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit naive on this subject, but is there some type of
oval tinsel out there other than the "French Tinsel" otherwise known as
"Embossed" tinsel? If there, where can I get some? All I can ever find is
the French/Embossed Tinsel.

Old October 26th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Jamie Caddick

French Oval Tinsel is not the same as Embossed Tinsel. Embossed Tinsel is a
flat tinsel with for lack of a better word "dimples" all over it and oval
tinsel is well...oval *G*

Any of the regular fly shops should have the French Oval Tinsel but the two
best kinds are Uni or Lagurtan. Try Hunters Angling Supplies or WW Doak,
they have tons of it.

Jamie

Old October 26th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Peter Aksberg

Try googling for "Lagartun".

/Peter

Old October 27th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Scott Seidman

"Hooked" wrote in
:

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit naive on this subject, but is there some
type of oval tinsel out there other than the "French Tinsel" otherwise
known as "Embossed" tinsel? If there, where can I get some? All I can
ever find is the French/Embossed Tinsel.

French Tinsel is not necessarily embossed. The difference between the good
French stuff and the crap is the the Good Stuff is lacquer-coated so it
won't tarnish. Particularly important for silver tinsel. FWIW, I've been
having troubles buying good silver tinsel lately. All the local shops seem
to have the Xfine stuff, and the medium oval, but not much else

Scott
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Hooked

None of the replies I have received so far really answer my question, so let
me rephrase it.

Is there an oval tinsel that looks like regular flat tinsel, smooth and
shiny, available in either silver, gold, copper, etc., except it's oval
(round)? Without the little dimples in it like the stuff I have that's
labeled French Oval, or French Oval Embossed???

Old October 28th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Scott Seidman

"Hooked" wrote in
:

None of the replies I have received so far really answer my question,
so let me rephrase it.

Is there an oval tinsel that looks like regular flat tinsel, smooth
and shiny, available in either silver, gold, copper, etc., except it's
oval (round)? Without the little dimples in it like the stuff I have
that's labeled French Oval, or French Oval Embossed???

No. Oval Tinsel is a wrapped product.

Scott
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Norman Greenwood

Hooked wrote in message
None of the replies I have received so far really answer my question,

so let
me rephrase it.

Is there an oval tinsel that looks like regular flat tinsel, smooth

and
shiny, available in either silver, gold, copper, etc., except it's

oval
(round)? Without the little dimples in it like the stuff I have that's
labeled French Oval, or French Oval Embossed???

Yes wire, a single strand of picture hanging wire cable will do, but it
is round and not
egg shaped oval

--
A Yorkshire Lad

Remove spam filter to reply

Old October 29th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Sierra fisher

Oval tinsil is primarily used for ribbing. On some steelhead flies, you
wrap the hook in flat tinsil, then rib it with oval. If you are going to
use it as a rib, and want a silver or gold color, there is not much that
you can substitute. Bill Kienes fly shop in Sacramento has a good selection
of colors and sizes.
"Hooked" wrote in message
Ok, maybe I'm being a bit naive on this subject, but is there some type of
oval tinsel out there other than the "French Tinsel" otherwise known as
"Embossed" tinsel? If there, where can I get some? All I can ever find is
the French/Embossed Tinsel.

---