Minimum equipment to start tying

Old October 19th, 2003, 03:53 PM
George Adams

Default Minimum equipment to start tying

From: "Stan Gula"

When does
it end...

This whole thread sounds like Steve Martin as "The Jerk". "All I need is
..............." {:-)

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Old October 19th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Brimbum

Stan wrote:snipWhen does
it end...

When your widow is splitting the mess into about four or five piles to donate
to a few of your favorite fly clubs and conclaves. I have a friend's wife who
has been doing this for about a month. Last time we checked a couple of years
ago the 20 year collection must have cost about 30K as near as we could figure.

Big Dale
Old October 20th, 2003, 02:39 AM
vincent p. norris

... you also need both round and square rubber legs ...

Can you explain that, Dale, or are you just funning Stan (and me)?

vince
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Stan Gula

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
... you also need both round and square rubber legs ...

Can you explain that, Dale, or are you just funning Stan (and me)?

vince

No, he's not kidding. There are (for a normal non-tying person) way too
many kinds of leg materials.

Old October 20th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Brimbum

Vince wrote:... you also need both round and square rubber legs ...

Can you explain that, Dale, or are you just funning Stan (and me)?

I prefer using round rubber legs on some patterns and some other patterns I
prefer using the square rubber legs.

Big Dale
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Flyguy

"Stan Gula" wrote in message
wrote in message
m...

I'm getting close...

--Stan

Ummm Stan...in a word ..Jungle cock...ok ok I know it is two words. Please

also don't forget the orange and red brick bucktails...for those killer
crayfish clousers.

Flyguy

Old October 21st, 2003, 01:02 AM
Stan Gula

"Flyguy" wrote in message
news
Ummm Stan...in a word ..Jungle cock...ok ok I know it is two words.

Please
also don't forget the orange and red brick bucktails...for those killer
crayfish clousers.

Flyguy

I never use jungle cock nails, but I have a patch of the feathers that lie
under the nail feathers. Really nice soft hackles.

Old November 5th, 2003, 05:59 AM
steve

In article ,
"Stan Gula" wrote:

Then I would add peacock herl, half a brown neck, half a ginger neck, some
superfine or beaver dubbing (olive, cream, sulphur yellow), more thread
(olive, tan, cream, yellow), a wild cotttontail skin, a whitetail deer tail,
various patches of deer and elk (natural and bleached), chenille in fine and
medium in a dozen colors, floss (red, yellow, green), a hungarian partridge
skin, mallard flanks (natural and dyed woodduck), ah, hell, I really need
some natural wooduck, sacks full of marabou, CDC, a dozen more colors of
dubbing, and probably some spiky stuff like hareline or haretron for my
nymphs (or both), a couple more dyed pheasant tails, some golden pheasant
tippets, lots and lots of hooks. OK, now I have to sort this pile a couple
times a year to see what I'm 'missing'. Antron, polypro yarn, Krystal
flash, ice chenilles, Estaz, popper bodies, foam (thin and thick, in at
least 6 colors), Zap-a-gap, Hard as Nails (clear and black), a few kinds of
wire and tinsel, two sizes of lead wire. Hmmm, I could probably use red,
blue, yellow and green dyed bucktails. I'm almost done. Oh yeah, I need a
dozen assorted turkey feathers for nymph backs and caddis wings,

If you have deer hair, cdc, and elk hair why do you need caddis wings?
What is caddis wings, anyways?
Old November 5th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Hooked

"steve" wrote in message

If you have deer hair, cdc, and elk hair why do you need caddis wings?
What is caddis wings, anyways?

"Caddis wings" are the part of the insect that make it fly.

Old November 5th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Stan Gula

"Hooked" wrote in message
news
"steve" wrote in message

If you have deer hair, cdc, and elk hair why do you need caddis wings?
What is caddis wings, anyways?

"Caddis wings" are the part of the insect that make it fly.

Exactly. Turkey feathers are really nice for caddis wings. The turkey
quill segment makes a nice low profile wing and I like it a lot on smaller
flies.

Here's a pattern very similar to what I tie the most - I usually skip the
front hackle...
http://www.virtualflybox.com/pattern...ern.php?id=233