Bugs!!

Old June 7th, 2005, 05:32 AM
George Cleveland

Default Bugs!!

Went fishing on the "Mayfly" River this evening. I saw:

Mayflies- A least 5 species including a few Sulphurs, "Mahoganys"
(#16), #12 gray somethings, #18 greenish yellow goobers (E. Needhami?)
and a some Light Cahills. A half hour before sunset they were either
hatching, laying eggs, screwing, loitering and doing whatever else a
mayfly can possibly do.

Caddis- Little gray ones that almost covered the water, swarming
everywhere, bigger tan ones bouncing up and down off the water like
rubber balls and even bigger gray ones that were lurking in the bushes
and would emerge, muttering, when disturbed.

Stoneflies- # 12 Olive ones, laying eggs.

Craneflies- #14 Yellow Sallys, # 10 reddish brown dudes.

Midges- Lots and lots of midges.

And mosquitoes. And then more mosquitoes. And then lots more
mosquitoes. The most mosquitoes I've run into in years.

The water was up at least a foot and moving fast!! Visibility only
fair. The water temp when I got there was 68.9 degrees!! Almost left
but saw a rise at the end of the pool I was standing in. Drifted a
Pass Lake over it and caught him. 10" brookie. Wound up catching 10 or
so total. Only one was caught casting "blind" and on a sunken fly. The
rest were seen rising and cast to. All fell to dries. Probably ended
up catching the most on a #16 Adams but they weren't being picky. I
think most fish weren't feeding on top, the high water was keeping
them down and well fed. All the fish brought to hand were fat.

As soon as the sun left the water the water temp dropped to 67.3
(guess who got a new digital thermometer). When I left it was down
another degree but the air temp was even lower (62.5) and there was
steam rising from the water.

Lots and lots of bugs. I have a feeling if the water hadn't been so
high it would have been an impossibly frantic surface feeding frenzy.
Every fish could have had his own personal bug species.

I've got to go find the pasta server now and scratch my back.

g.c.

Old June 7th, 2005, 06:11 AM
rw

George Cleveland wrote:

I've got to go find the pasta server now and scratch my back.

That sounded like one hulluva fine day on the water.

Old June 7th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Tim J.

George Cleveland wrote:
Went fishing on the "Mayfly" River this evening. I saw:

Mayflies-
Caddis-
Stoneflies-
Craneflies-
Midges-
And mosquitoes. And then more mosquitoes. And then lots more
mosquitoes. The most mosquitoes I've run into in years.

Sweet. Well, except for the mosquito part. Send some of those hatches
over our way.
--
TL,
Tim

Old June 7th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Wayne Harrison

"George Cleveland" wrote

.. I have a feeling if the water hadn't been so
high it would have been an impossibly frantic surface feeding frenzy.
Every fish could have had his own personal bug species.

I've got to go find the pasta server now and scratch my back.

great, great line. have you ever thought of a guest appearance on "the
prarie home companion"?

four of my buddies (three lawyers) won on air recognition a few weeks
back from garrison hizzownself as a result of their trip from the old north
state to some godforsaken little town in south dakota to provide authentic
carolina barbeque for the cast and guests of the production. they pulled
their own pig cooking trailer all the way there and back.
they call themselves "the pigmasters", and conduct this aberrant
behavior as a "hobby"...

yfitons
wayno (not everyone in tons is as squared away as i am)

Old June 7th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Wayne Knight

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"they pulled
their own pig cooking trailer all the way there and back.
they call themselves "the pigmasters", and conduct this aberrant
behavior as a "hobby"...

For those of us in the midwest who consider a good ole low country bbq
culinary heaven, I would consider such aberrant behavior as proof that
there is a God. Bless these culinary missionaries for doing the Lord's
work.

Old June 7th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Charlie Choc

On 7 Jun 2005 10:03:14 -0700, "Wayne Knight" wrote:

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"they pulled
their own pig cooking trailer all the way there and back.
they call themselves "the pigmasters", and conduct this aberrant
behavior as a "hobby"...

For those of us in the midwest who consider a good ole low country bbq
culinary heaven,

I had a lot of great barbeque when I lived in the Midwest. The biggest
disappointment for me after moving to the SE is what passes for barbeque down
here - so you are welcome to my share. g
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old June 7th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Wayne Knight

Charlie Choc wrote:

I had a lot of great barbeque when I lived in the Midwest. The biggest
disappointment for me after moving to the SE is what passes for barbeque down
here - so you are welcome to my share. g

I never got off much on beef as BBQ fodder as in Texas or often what I
had in Kansas except that it beats what passes as BBQ in New England.

There was a low country BbQ place on Roswell Rd in Sandy Springs which
I considered the best in Atlanta (and I tried most of them) but I think
it closed before I left town. There's a hole in the wall joint at
Ashford Dunwoody and Peachtree Dunwoody that was pretty good and still
there last year. Everything else means a trip to coastal n&s carolina

Old June 7th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Frank Reid

For those of us in the midwest who consider a good ole low country bbq
culinary heaven,

I had a lot of great barbeque when I lived in the Midwest. The biggest
disappointment for me after moving to the SE is what passes for barbeque
down
here - so you are welcome to my share. g

http://www.uncleearnies.com/

This is the guy that catered my retirement reception when I left the
military. MMmmmmm! Awesome.

--
Frank Reid
Euthenize to respond

Old June 7th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Charlie Choc

On 7 Jun 2005 10:41:13 -0700, "Wayne Knight" wrote:

Everything else means a trip to coastal n&s carolina

The closest I've had to good was in Savannah, it was basically eating at picnic
tables it what was probably the cook's back yard. R&S in Wichita has the best
I've tasted, but I've had some good stuff in Texas, et al, too.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Tim J.

Wayne Knight wrote:

. . . it beats what passes as BBQ in New England.

New England has good pot roast, stew, pizza, Italian, desserts, and
chicken wings. Everything else is highly suspect, and not just of being
good, but of being called "food". But that's never stopped me from
eating. . .
--
TL,
Tim