Somerset Show 2008

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rcturner99

Default Somerset Show 2008

As someone brand new to fly tying, in a separate thread, I got some good
advice about purchasing a vice. I'm thinking about the Dan-vise or the
Anvil Apex. Can these be purchased at a discount at the show, or should
I just go ahead and buy one over the internet?
Thx.
Rich

--
rcturner99
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 30, 6:56 am, rcturner99
wrote:
As someone brand new to fly tying, in a separate thread, I got some good
advice about purchasing a vice. I'm thinking about the Dan-vise or the
Anvil Apex. Can these be purchased at a discount at the show, or should
I just go ahead and buy one over the internet?
Thx.
Rich

--
rcturner99

The danvise usually retails at a fixed price. Al. Beatty handles it.
Do yourself a favour and get the jaw extension arm for it. For a few
more dollars you can get a complete tying station;

http://www.btsflyfishing.com/catalog/page4-5.htm

You might like to read this too;

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Re...ca_danvise.htm

TL
MC
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"rcturner99" wrote in message

As someone brand new to fly tying, in a separate thread, I got some good
advice about purchasing a vice. I'm thinking about the Dan-vise or the
Anvil Apex. Can these be purchased at a discount at the show, or should
I just go ahead and buy one over the internet?
Thx.
Rich

Rich,
If you are going to buy a vise, I would recommend against the Anvil. I have
one that has sat for many years. It is not a finger friendly vise. The jaws
are held in an oddly circular head which makes holding materials awkward. As
well, it is not a true rotary vise. Before you buy one try ying some small
flyz on one --size 16-20 or smaller. I don't think you will be happy with
your hand options.

My recommendation is the Renzetti Traveler. More money, yes, but you will
find it is infinitely more user friendly, IMMHO.

Op

Old December 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"rcturner99" wrote in message

As someone brand new to fly tying, in a separate thread, I got some good
advice about purchasing a vice. I'm thinking about the Dan-vise or the
Anvil Apex. Can these be purchased at a discount at the show, or should
I just go ahead and buy one over the internet?
Thx.
Rich

I forgot to add the link to Renzetti
http://www.renzetti.com/home.php?cat=313

I realize that the Traveler is probably out of the price range you are
considering, but I believe that you will find it to be worth the extra
dollars spent, just my opinion though. I have no connection whatsoever to
Renzetti, btw.

The Renzetti Traveler has gone up in price about $30, since I first started
looking at them. I would suggest checking out numerous fly fishin' forums to
see if anyone wants to sell an older version. From the picture on Renzetti's
site, it doesn't appear as though they have made any significant changes
with the 2000 series.

Post your query over at rec.outdoors.fishing.fly (ROFF). You will get much
helpful advise, before the thread degrades into a ****ing contest!

Regards,
Op

Old December 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_29_]

The Show will be a great place to pick up tools and materials. I've
never looked at vices there. Probably cause I love my Danvice and am
not looking for another one.

Also, a great place to watch guys tying and learning techniques.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Andy B[_2_]

The show is a great place to see and yes find materials and hooks, I do
not like this show to purchase a vise at. Let me expand this statement.
This show draws a ton of people and I never in the past years ever seen
the show with out a huge crowd. The vendors that do bring vises do not
have the time to answer all your questions and let you get a test drive
do to the volume of people. Only one vendor that I would trust at the
show far as vises is Mike Hogue. You really should consider going to a
few fly shops on a weekend or two and look and touch all the vises.
Don't get caught up in the heat of the show and let them give you a vise
that you get home and don't feel to good about. There are some really
good vises on the market with all different budgets. Also don't let
people talk you into this brand or that brand. First look at you budget
that you want to spend then test drive all the models you can that's in
your budget. Then and only then will you make a purchase that you will
be satisfied with. These are the words of an experienced fly tier.

Andy

Andy B
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Dave LaCourse

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:56:18 -0500, rcturner99
wrote:

As someone brand new to fly tying, in a separate thread, I got some good
advice about purchasing a vice. I'm thinking about the Dan-vise or the
Anvil Apex. Can these be purchased at a discount at the show, or should
I just go ahead and buy one over the internet?

Usually *everything* is cheaper at the shows. I have picked up lots
of very good deals over the years. The Dan-Vise goes for about $80.
I'm betting you can get it cheaper at the show.

Is this your first vise? If you are new to the art, perhaps you
should start with something simple, practical, and inexpensive. I
started with an inexpensive Thompson, not knowing whether I would stay
with fly tying. Many start out thinking it is an inexpensive way to
get your flys, but soon get bored or overwhelmed with the expense of
materials. If I had all the money I have invested in fly fying
materials and tools, I could buy all of my flys from Orvis for the
next 20 years. d;o(

So, shop around at the show. You may find a good non-rotary vice that
has an attractive price. And, although a rotary is nice to have, it
certainly is not a necessity.

Good luck and let us know what you select.

Old December 31st, 2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rcturner99[_2_]

Thanks Andy and Cdog. Its funny...I went to a shop looking at
vises....the guy there said "Dont buy one today...Go to the show and see
what people are using...get a sense of whats out there". He also said I
didnt need to spend a lot on expensive vices like he sold. I appreciated
a guy being honest and non-pressure. He said to focus on the moving
parts, precision threads, and to get a pedestal for its flexibility.

--
rcturner99
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Catskill Lover

rcturner99;102798 Wrote:
Thanks Andy and Cdog. Its funny...I went to a shop looking at
vises....the guy there said "Dont buy one today...Go to the show and see
what people are using...get a sense of whats out there". He also said I
didnt need to spend a lot on expensive vices like he sold. I appreciated
a guy being honest and non-pressure. He said to focus on the moving
parts, precision threads, and to get a pedestal for its flexibility.That shop deserves a plug! What shop was it?

--
Catskill Lover

Catskill Lover
Old December 31st, 2007, 10:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_24_]

I have yet to discover any real "deals" at the FFS. I am assuming it is
simple economics because of the high cost of renting floor space for
those three days the retail fly shops simply cannot afford to sell their
wares at a reduced cost.

99, I too would like to know the name of that fly shop who turned you
away from buying a vise.

The name of Mike Hogue was brought up, if you have the time he usually
gives a presentation on what new products are now out on the market.
Well worth the time to sit in on.

It appears that the latest trend at the FFS is the reduced number of
fly shops and the increased number of lodges and guide services. This
will be the first year that I plan on attending just the first two days.
Friday is to but materials and other items, Saturday is to attend the
presentations.

All and all it is one weekend of the year I look forward to.

--
AKSkim

*.... Red Sox Nation *and the rest of MLB
#1 in posts scrubbed
*Winner of the NEFF 2007 Most Prestigious Award*
*(Former RSN) Chairman of Don't Sign A-Rod Committee*
*::16 - 0 Incontaminatus::*