Cool Old Flies -- Some made of cork

Old February 29th, 2004, 10:09 PM
ENewcomer

Default Cool Old Flies -- Some made of cork

I've got some old fishing flies from a deceased family friend. I've never seen
anything like them, except in old antique collections now used as art. I'm
e-baying them so, if you're interested, go to...

Thanks,
Ed
Old February 29th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Hooked

"ENewcomer" wrote in message
I've got some old fishing flies from a deceased family friend. I've never

seen
anything like them, except in old antique collections now used as art.

I'm
e-baying them so, if you're interested, go to...

Thanks,
Ed

Taking a close look at the photo you posted there on E-bay, I can't tell if
any of the materials are of modern synthetics. But if you look real close to
the bottom right fly, to the right of it, you'll see what looks like some
sort of bug. If that came from the package these flies were in, you may be
in trouble real soon. Bugs like to eat flies.

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:24 PM
John Lindsey

Your description contains exaggerations and misleading assumptions that may
not be true.

No disrespect to your deceased family friend but the unpainted, wound-on,
amateurish-looking, one-of-a-kind cork bugs look very similar to ones made
by children. They are NOT antiques and have no financial value. The heavily
fished look, faded dyed feathers and likely bug infestations do not suggest
likely candidates for framing, except to family friends.

In post WWII, Heddon, Peckinpaugh and others made some truly collectible
cork popping bugs, which if still in good condition would make great
mountings. Also in post WWII, the model airplane craze fueled by Testors
and other suppliers allowed cork, balsa and other wood popping bugs to be
made that progress well beyond the amateurish examples on your EBAY site.

Old bugs and flies such as your pop up from time to time on EBAY and the
unsuspecting bid/buy them thinking they got something of value.

John