Any crappie fishermen here?

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
SteveB

Default Any crappie fishermen here?

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
LOL is optional.

I have to remember not to pick on you.

The lesson to remember is not to go all smart-assed, off-topic
net nanny on posts that are on topic. Not that you ever would.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wow. I'm off to pop some popcorn. This is getting good.

Steve ;-)

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
LOL is optional.

I have to remember not to pick on you.

The lesson to remember is not to go all smart-assed, off-topic
net nanny on posts that are on topic. Not that you ever would.

ROFL. Dang it Ken. Yer killing me.

So you been daintily dabbing at the water lately?

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Default Great Battles of Fiction

Rocky Vs Ali

Freddy Vs Jason

Alien Vs Predator

Spam Cop Vs Net Nanny

Dainty Dabber Vs Bass Wincher

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
The lesson to remember is not to go all smart-assed, off-topic
net nanny on posts that are on topic. Not that you ever would.

ROFL. Dang it Ken. Yer killing me.

So you been daintily dabbing at the water lately?

Everything around here is brown, muddy and blown out. I may drive
up to the driftless next week to daintily dab at some little brookies.

I'll be in northern Wisconsin right after the muskie opener for
Ken's Annual Midwestern Fly Fishing Trifecta Extravaganza. I'll
dab daintily at little brookies in the backwoods trout streams of
the yoop, cast poppers at trophy smallies in the Sylvania and heave
big heavy gobs of rabbit fur at muskies around Boulder Junction for
a couple of weeks. The last week of May and the first week of June
is a good time to use everything in the bag. All the fly rods, 1wt
to 9wt, will get a workout. It's a great time to be in that neck of
the woods so long as you remember to bring the deet. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 8th, 2009, 09:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

What are you, the stick that stirs the **** ? LOL !

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
[...]

You know Ken. I actually own two fly rods. A 5wt which I pretty much use
for everything, and 7/8 that I use for giant rabbit fur streamers (look like
worms in the water to me) and large poppers. They aren't Sage or St Croix
or anything like that. The 5wt which I like better and has a much better
feel is a Wal-Mart special, and the 7/8 is a Scientific Angler special, and
feels like using a soggy log. I can lay down some pretty tiny flies with
the 5wt so I never saw any need to get a lighter rod. After experimenting I
have found I can do pretty well with the larger stuff with it too. The only
good reason I take both rods on the rare occasions when I fly cast is so I
do not have to stop and change leaders if I decide the monster size bugs
will produce a bass or some good size panfish. In open water I can pretty
much land anything on the 5wt and as an experienced bass wincher I already
know if something gets back in the trash its just patience and luck to get
it back out. P.S. I used to own three fly rods, but when my rod rack got
knocked over a year ago that was one of the rods that didn't make it back
out of the melee. I wouldn't even own the 7/8 or the one that got broken (a
6/7) if it weren't some comments you made a long time ago on ROFF.

Of course I almost never do any really long line presentation on a fly rod
so a lot of the subtleties are no doubt lost on this bass wincher.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe wrote:
Rocky Vs Ali

Freddy Vs Jason

Alien Vs Predator

Spam Cop Vs Net Nanny

Dainty Dabber Vs Bass Wincher

What are you, the stick that stirs the **** ? LOL !

Are you feeling stirred?

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, having a rod rack full of fly rods is more luxury than necessity
but they do accumulate over the years as you get them for specific
situations. For largemouth, read big, honking, wind-eating bugs, a
lot of folks like an 8wt. In fact, there was a fly fishing magazine
devoted to largemouth fishing titled 8 Wt Journal. For smallies my
preference is a 6wt and if I were allowed only one fly rod (shudder ;-),
for trout it'd be a 5wt.

But all this is changing as fly rod manufacturers all seem to be
migrating to the "faster is better" philosophy, especially in the
bigger weights. Part of the reason is that the higher modulus boron,
graphite blends allow them to make faster rods and part of it is
keeping up with the Joneses. If Sage makes a fast rod, Loomis will
make one faster and Scott will try to one up that. And of course,
there are fly fishermen who always have to have the latest and greatest
so there's always been a market for "new and improved" when "old
and traditional" still works just fine.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old May 10th, 2009, 03:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
[...]

Is there any truth to the faster is better? I guess it would certainly help
with hook setting on some species like largemouth, but I've always just
loaded up the rod and hung on trying to gentle the fish in. How about for
presentation? It seems to me if the rod is too fast it would make it hard
to make full casts because you couldn't feel the rod load up right on the
back cast. I guess I have to find one and try it now.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com