Best trout/salmon road trip locations?

Old November 5th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Jarmo Hurri

Default Best trout/salmon road trip locations?

Let's say that I'd like to do a fishing road trip with some friends:
travel to _some_ (any) part of the world to fish beautiful locations -
with some solitude - as relaxed as possible. By relaxed I don't mean
the use of herbel refreshments, but that we could fly to a location,
rent a car, buy a map, start driving around to fish some rivers in the
area, and we could expect to find some really good fishing.

"Fish" in our case means trout or salmon, or in an optimal case -
although I do understand that there are relatively few such places -
both. Basically I think that it can be any trout and any salmon. And
we'd like to eat one of the fish every once in a while - we're not
totally comfortable with pure C&R.

The situation is that we've got the money, we've got the time, but
making a plan is _much_ more difficult than we expected. We are
planning on going to the British Columbia, but planning has become
very compicated: expected difficulties in finding the fish, being
there at the right time, getting to where the fish are, and avoiding
the bears is starting to wear me out. (I've got nothing against
guides, but I don't want to depend on them.)

So, imagine yourself in my size 10.5 shoes: where would you go?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .
Old November 5th, 2004, 03:09 PM
riverman

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

[...]

Jeeze Jarmo....I always run up to YOUR neck of the woods for exactly that!!
AFAIK, its the best place on earth for precisely what you are describing.

Something about the grass always being greener...

--riverman

Old November 5th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Jarmo Hurri

So, imagine yourself in my size 10.5 shoes: where would you go?

riverman Jeeze Jarmo....I always run up to YOUR neck of the woods for
riverman exactly that!! AFAIK, its the best place on earth for
riverman precisely what you are describing.

riverman Something about the grass always being greener...

:-) Actually, I agree that northern Sweden and Norway are both such
locations, but I guess we want to see something more exotic this
time. (Besides, the salmon experts in our group have had problems
catching those damn things in the past couple of years. It's a tricky
business.)

Old November 5th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Jarmo Hurri

So, imagine yourself in my size 10.5 shoes: where would you go?

Charlie There's some pretty good fishing around where the Western
Charlie clave will be next year (the Madison outside Yellowstone). A
Charlie lot of the places can be somewhat crowded, but solitude can
Charlie be found if you're willing to drive and walk a little.

Hi Charlie,

What time would you recommend for the trip, taking into account the
need to avoid the crowds?

(I will be away for the next three days.)

Old November 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Charlie Choc

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 23:41:29 +0200, Jarmo Hurri
wrote:

What time would you recommend for the trip, taking into account the
need to avoid the crowds?

We were there just after the 4th of July last year and it wasn't that bad,
that's the same time frame as next year's clave. Maybe Warren or John or some
of the other locals will chime in with some other suggested times of year.
--
Charlie...
http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/c/cchoc/

Old November 5th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Bob Weinberger

[...]

You might try flying in to Lewiston, ID in late Sept.- early Oct.
Possibility of Fall Chinook Salmon on the Snake & Clearwater rivers. Good
fishing for steelhead (very similar techniques and fish size & fight to
Atlantic Salmon) on the Snake, Clearwater, and Grande Ronde rivers.
Excellent trout fishing on Kelly Creek and the Locsha and Selway rivers.
No bear problems, no pro guide necessary, and I'd be pleased to meet and
"guide" you for steelhead on the Snake & Grande Ronde if you desired. All
the locations are relatively easily reached by car.

--
Bob Weinberger
La, Grande, OR

place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email