What I've been tying

Old March 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Conan The Librarian

Default What I've been tying

Howdy,

Even though my trip to Graham County, NC is 3 months away, I've been
spending a fair amount of time at the vise. While I was watching
basketball yesterday, I figured I'd get my little Optio S40 out and take
some photos so y'all can see exactly how good the macro setting is on my
camera. :-)

Some are regional flies, like:

Thunderhead w/synthetic wing:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/thunderhead.jpg
NC Wulff w/synthetic wing: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/ncwulff.jpg
Secret Weapon: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/secret.jpg
Tellico: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/tellico01.jpg
Yellow softhackle whose name I forget:
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/softhackle.jpg
Variation on the "yallerhammer":
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/yaller.jpg
Another variation on the "yallerhammer":
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/yallerhammer.jpg
And a yellow palmer: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/yellpalmer.jpg

Others are standard ties:

Para Adams: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/adams.jpg
Para ant: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/ant.jpg
Beetle with a foam "indicator back":
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/beetle.jpg
Lime Trude: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/lime%20trude.jpg
Fluttering caddis: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/flutteringcaddis.jpg
Green stimulator: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/gstimulator.jpg
Royal stimulator: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/rstimulator.jpg
Yellow stimulator: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/ystimulator.jpg
Renegade: http://uweb.txstate.edu/~cv01/renegade.jpg

Enjoy!

Chuck Vance
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:40 PM
slenon

Chuck, nice flies.
What camera set up did you use to photograph them?

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
When the dawn came up like thunder

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old March 28th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Bob Weinberger

Nicely done flies and nicely photographed. They should work very well for
opportunisticly feeding trout in the relatively sterile waters where you
intend to use them.
One minor suggestion: for selective trout in relatively fertile waters (e.g.
Penns or the Henry's Fork) you should consider tying them much more
sparsely, especially the tails. Even though many of those patterns are
considered "regional", tied appropriately, they will work well almost any
where trout are present.

--
Bob Weinberger
La, Grande, OR

place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email

Old March 28th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Larry L

"Conan The Librarian" wrote

Enjoy!

I did !!

Old March 29th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Conan The Librarian

Bob Weinberger wrote:

Nicely done flies and nicely photographed.

Thanks, Bob.

They should work very well for
opportunisticly feeding trout in the relatively sterile waters where

you
intend to use them.
One minor suggestion: for selective trout in relatively fertile

waters (e.g.
Penns or the Henry's Fork) you should consider tying them much more
sparsely, especially the tails. Even though many of those patterns

are
considered "regional", tied appropriately, they will work well almost

any
where trout are present.

Interesting. So which flies would you recommend that I watch the
tails, etc.? The reason I ask is because I tie "by the book"; I only
have a couple of trips per year when I get to fish for "wild" trout, so
I tie what I hope will work and only get to test the flies on those
trips.

The recipes for Wulffs of various types have fairly bushy tails, as
do the Stimulators. I try to make my mayfly imitations pretty sparse.

So do you recommend that the Stimulators and Wulffs be sparser too?

I appreciate your comments. That's just what I was looking for.

Chuck Vance

Old March 29th, 2005, 03:41 AM
Bob Weinberger

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
ps.com...

Interesting. So which flies would you recommend that I watch the
tails, etc.? The reason I ask is because I tie "by the book"; I only
have a couple of trips per year when I get to fish for "wild" trout, so
I tie what I hope will work and only get to test the flies on those
trips.

The recipes for Wulffs of various types have fairly bushy tails, as
do the Stimulators. I try to make my mayfly imitations pretty sparse.

So do you recommend that the Stimulators and Wulffs be sparser too?

I appreciate your comments. That's just what I was looking for.

Chuck Vance

Chuck,
Over the years I have gravitated to sparser and sparser ties, and my success
has increased comensurately. Now one may have nothing to do with the other,
and my increased success may be simply due to improved fishing skills, but I
have had enough experiences, where simply going to a sparser tie brought
takes from fish that had ignored or given me refusals to a bushier tie of
the same pattern, to believe that there is often an advantage to going
sparse. I find this true even for Wulffs and Stimulators unless the flow is
very heavy and choppy such that the added surface area helps in flotation.
For instance, my own preference for stimulator tails would be at least a
third to a half less bulk than on those you pictured. Even on wets (eg. your
Secret Weapon & the Yellow Soft Hackle), unless I were fishing pocket water,
or over opportunistic trout, or under reduced visibility water conditions, I
have done better with flies that have 1/3 to 1/2 less bulk in the hackles
and/or tails than on the two shown. Of course none of this applies to ties
such as the Yallerhammer where its almost a case of "the bushier the
better".

Old March 29th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Jeff Miller

Bob Weinberger wrote:

Nicely done flies and nicely photographed. They should work very well for
opportunisticly feeding trout in the relatively sterile waters where you
intend to use them.
One minor suggestion: for selective trout in relatively fertile waters (e.g.
Penns or the Henry's Fork) you should consider tying them much more
sparsely, especially the tails. Even though many of those patterns are
considered "regional", tied appropriately, they will work well almost any
where trout are present.

even here, sparser ties seem to do better. except when they don't... g

jeff
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:38 PM
DaveMohnsen

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
Howdy,

Even though my trip to Graham County, NC is 3 months away, I've been
spending a fair amount of time at the vise. While I was watching
basketball yesterday, I figured I'd get my little Optio S40 out and take
some photos so y'all can see exactly how good the macro setting is on my
camera. :-)

(links snipped)
Chuck Vance

Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the pics. At a casual glance I suspect the Secret Weapon and
the Yellow Soft Hackle pattern might be "sneaky" effective. (allowing for
variations of colors) And probably as a dropper. But I haven't fished that
part of the US in many years.
Have fun.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver
(an aside, I'd use a little sparser hackle for the the right coast guys. I
use heavier sometimes for the Rocky Mountain areas. But I catch most of my
fishes with sometimes a sparser hackle)

Old March 29th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Conan The Librarian

Bob Weinberger wrote:

[...]

I really appreciate your input. A wonderful side-effect of
following your advice will be that less bulky tails automatically equals
less bulky bodies, especially when tying with deer or elk. It's also
easier to handle smaller amounts.

So I'll tie up some more with your suggestions in mind, thanks.

Chuck Vance

Old March 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Conan The Librarian

Jeff Miller wrote:

even here, sparser ties seem to do better. except when they don't... g

Well, gee ... thanks. :-)

Seriously, do you have any suggestions on those ties? I was really
hoping that you or some of the other Nawth Cackalackians might have some
advice.

Chuck Vance