Installing a water pump

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Charles Summers

Default Installing a water pump

Ok, first question: Should I try to install a water pump in my 90hp Mercury
myself?
Second Question: Is this a pretty easy task?
Third Question: Any helpful web-sites?

Fourth Question: Better to take it to a mechanic?

--
www.secretweaponlures.com
www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 24th, 2004, 11:23 PM
Sarge

Charles wrote, "Ok, first question: Should I try to install a water pump in
my 90hp Mercury myself?"
That depends on your mechanical ability.

"Second Question: Is this a pretty easy task?"
It is not that hard. You need to lower the lower unit and disconnect the
linkage. The unit should slid down. Then undo the water pump and install
new one. Slide the lower unit back up. Make sure that you align the pickup
tube with the boot on the pump and reattach the linkage.

Third Question: Any helpful web-sites?
Don't know of any.

Fourth Question: Better to take it to a mechanic?
I changed two on Johnson's and one on a Mercury but it is more convenient to
drop it off and pick it up when it is ready. This can be done during the
work week and be ready for the weekend for fishing. This way it want take
away from your fishing time.

Sarge

Old May 25th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Andrew Kidd

Charles,
If you have a decent mechanical ability, it's really very easy. The
hardest part I found was how to disengage the linkage to drop the lower
unit. On my old 115hp, there was a small pin holding the shifter shaft in
place. Taking this pin out and pushing the shifter lever towards the motor
(I believe) released the mechanism. Putting it back in was almost as easy,
except for getting the pin back in (lack of room).

If you have the ability, but lack the knowledge, go buy a Clymer manual.
They're pretty cheap when you consider the fact you can then do a lot of
work on your own motor with it.

Best of luck. Don't know of a site that gives you any detail about the
procedure....
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Bob La Londe

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
Ok, first question: Should I try to install a water pump in my 90hp

Mercury
myself?

Do you have a manual? If so read it and see.

Second Question: Is this a pretty easy task?

My dad made me learn to work on my own stuff from an early age. For me it
is a doable task. For you only you can decide. I have the water pumps on
my motors replaced every eyar by my mechanic when they do the annual
service.

Third Question: Any helpful web-sites?

www.TenKillerMarine.com

Fourth Question: Better to take it to a mechanic?

The only reasons to not take it to a marine mechanic is if they can't get to
it fast enough for you or if you don't have confidence in them.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 25th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Bob La Londe

I agree with all of what Andrew said except I like the Sealoc Manuals
better.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 25th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Charles Summers" wrote in message
Ok, first question: Should I try to install a water pump in my 90hp

Mercury
myself?
Second Question: Is this a pretty easy task?
Third Question: Any helpful web-sites?

Fourth Question: Better to take it to a mechanic?

Charles,

You're a reasonablly intelligent person. All you have to do is pay
attention to how everything comes apart and remember, don't force anything!

Then just reverse the process. I've done several water pumps on different
outboards and it's not exactly rocket science. You should be able to handle
it just fine.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com