stopped by to look a few days ago, after quite a while ;-)

Old November 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default Pizza, tamales, and Jo Jo's, catch or release

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 23:33:30 -0800, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"MajorOz" wrote in message
On Nov 5, 7:00 pm, DaveS wrote:
On Nov 5, 2:57 pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:

I equate this to the lack of good Mexican food outside of Southern
California. TexMex is NOT Mexican food. I do have a connection that
will score me a couple of dozen home made tamales around Christmas.
Could make them myself, but it would take two days of cooking. That's
the only way I know how to make them.
Frank Reid
(who thinks the tamale is the worlds most perfect food)

Los Hernandez in Union Gap (next to Yakima). Normal array, then in
Spring . . . asparagus tamales.!!! Yahuda! Check out the reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-hernandez-union-gap

Dave
Right now I could go for an Indian Taco on fry bread

Best Indian Taco on fry bread was traveling from Denali to Telketna, AK.
Wife and I stopped at a small diner at a gas station along the road.
Figuring the place would fill us up, but what could you expect at a gas
station. We were talking about gas station food last night because of this
taco. Was fantastic. And we decided that we have had 3 great meals in our
travels at gas stations. Years ago, a gas station in Italy north of Rome.
great selection and great food, and some of the best Costa Rican food on the
Pan Am highway, just north of where you come out on it from Santa Elena.
Just some reminisces about road food.

One of the best places to get seafood gumbo for many years, in all of the area
from New Orleans to Mobile, was at a truck stop/gas station on I-10 at Grand Bay
AL. It was just north of Bayou La Batre, a big seafood port, so it had access
to literally right from the water shrimp and crab. Folks would come from around
the area to get it. When the long-time cook who made it retired, they still
made it, but it went gradually downhill. The place was turned into one of the
modern "travel plazas" with a commissaried restaurant, and that was that.

And speaking of Bayou La Batre, it reminds of another "road food" tradition.
When traveling, we used to get a container of crab claws (these come with the
meat shelled but the pincer on as a "handle" in 1 lb / 1/2 kg. "cups"), pour on
some "Italian" dressing, put the lid on, and let marinate until we were ready
for lunch or stopped for the evening and with a loaf of New Orleans-style French
bread, some butter, and a bottle of wine, it was a meal.

And in much of SW LA, folks get their boudin balls from gas stations - some
great, some, well, not so much, but I'd say that gas stations are the largest
(public) outlet of them in pure numbers.

Just some more reminisces on road food....

TC,

Old November 11th, 2009, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Nov 10, 1:33*am, "Bill McKee" wrote:
"MajorOz" wrote in message

On Nov 5, 7:00 pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

Never heard mention of Costa Rican quisine before. Any defining
characteristics you're aware of?

giles
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bill McKee

"MajorOz" wrote in message

On Nov 5, 7:00 pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

Think somewhat Mexican. Papusa's are really Salvadoran, but Gallo Pinto
(black beans and rice) for breakfast is really good.

Old November 11th, 2009, 03:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

"MajorOz" wrote in message

On Nov 5, 7:00 pm, DaveS wrote:

[...]

Never hears of Papusas or Gallo Pinto. Looked them up. Sounds good
to me. Will try them soon.

Thanks.

giles
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

I grew up eating Baja style Mexican. More spices cooked into the meat
with less sauce ladled over the top and a whole bunch of fish. The
first time I had "Tex Mex" I sent it back and Chihuahan (?) just
tasted weird.
Frank Reid

Old November 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 10, 8:13*pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
I grew up eating Baja style Mexican. *More spices cooked into the meat
with less sauce ladled over the top and a whole bunch of fish. *The
first time I had "Tex Mex" I sent it back and Chihuahuan (?) just
tasted weird.
Frank Reid

Lots of fish and shrimp, lite on the hot, in West Coast Mex, say
Zihuatanejo up thru Mazatlan. Coco's in Zihua alone is worth the
ticket.

But at least 10-15 years ago you could find many diff varieties of
good Mex and Latin American food in LA. My faves were Yucatec and
Uruguayan/Argentine. Least fave . . . Cuban (heavy, bland, wired on
coffee, politics and cigar smoke). Now a Tampa style lunch, Cuban pork
sandwich with beans and rice, thats a whole nuther thang.

Old November 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

Default stopped by to look a few days ago, after quite a while ;-)

http://tinyurl.com/yhohft5