stopped by to look a few days ago, after quite a while ;-)

Old November 6th, 2009, 05:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default stopped by to look a few days ago, after quite a while ;-)

On Nov 5, 4:28*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Nov 5, 11:15*am, "Fred" wrote:

On *5-Nov-2009, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Frank_Reid_=A9_2008?=
wrote:

Its up in the Panhandle, the "other" Nebraska. *Pizza is pretty bad
unless you like alfalfa (not sprouts either) on your pizza.
Frank Reid

Yucchhh!!!! *Alfalfa obn Pizza- That is NOT pizza!
I miss pizza greatly living out West in a rural area -
I even dreamn of pizza.
I am somewhat of a self acclaimed taste connoisseur of pizza - I grew up in
NYC where every few blocks wopuld be another great pizzeria.

I have even tried flying pizzas.com - flown in already cooked

Not bad

Fred

Being originally from NJ I naturally have great expertise as to pizza.
NYC, Chicago folk etc, mostly understand this and therefore are
deferential, as is proper. *While a proper pizza probably may be
obtained in Vegas, the rest of the West is pretty much pizza-less.
Why? Simple: Absence of a key ingredient . . . mafia cheese.

But think "Adapt," ADAPT. When in Rome . . . . *and all that.
I ask you this; where in NYC can a man enjoy a plastic basket of Jo
Jo's consumed with a healthy dip of Mrs Renfrew's green chili, a swig
of brown bag beer, *and fill your gas tank at the same time? Huh?

Dave
Sometimes I crave a slice of Gambino's plain cheese, always thin
crust, always . . . the olive oil.- Hide quoted text -

Pizza, n.: flat(ish) breadlike substance baked with stuff on top.

Actually, the best pizza in the world is to be had in Wauwatosa,
Wisconsin. The crust, made fresh immediately before use, is wheat
flour, water and yeast, period. Topped with olive oil, thinly sliced
garlic, sauteed mushrooms, shredded napa cabbage, papadews and feta
(yes, feta) cheese. Sprinkle liberally with freshly ground black
pepper and add a dash of salt. Fresh herb of choice is optional.
Bake for seven to ten minutes on a rock in a very hot charcoal fired
Weber grill. Infinite variations are permissable.....and have been
tried.

Second best is from Villa d' Carlo in Kenosha Wisconsin.

g.
i **** you not.
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Nov 5, 4:57*pm, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
I equate this to the lack of good Mexican food outside of Southern
California. *TexMex is NOT Mexican food. *I do have a connection that
will score me a couple of dozen home made tamales around Christmas.
Could make them myself, but it would take two days of cooking. *That's
the only way I know how to make them.
Frank Reid
(who thinks the tamale is the worlds most perfect food)

Mmmmm.....tamales!

I don't make them anymore. Good.....and fun.....but lots of work, and
I can get better any time I want, cheap.

TexMex? Whether I intend to cook or just get a quick fix of ready
made at the lunch counter, I shop at Mercado El Rey at 35th and
Burnham. The staff there speak about as much English as I do
Spanish. As far as I've been able to determine through frequent
exchanges of smiles, nods, pointing, and holding up the appropriate
number of fingers, none of them knows or much cares what a "Texas" or
a "Southern California" is, aside from something or other they or
their parents had to get through en route to and from America.

I've been to Texas and to Southern California. Texas and Southern
California are not the only places about which their residents have an
extremely warped minimal solipsistic perception.

giles
who hastens to add that while they are perhaps exemplary, they are
most certainly not alone.

Old November 6th, 2009, 05:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Nov 5, 5:42*pm, "Fred" wrote:
On *5-Nov-2009, DaveS wrote:

Dave
Sometimes I crave a slice of Gambino's plain cheese, always thin
crust, always . . . the olive oil.

Dave

I respect your taste and judgement but :

DiFara on Ave J in Brooklyn is world famous
We used to "hang-out" there as kids - Of course looking tough but MAN What
pizza!!!

Carlo Gambino

World famous, adj.: known by dozens of people upwards of seven to
twelve miles away.

The world's best burgers are to be had at Fred's tap in Burlington,
Wisconsin. Says so right on the sign in front.

g.
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

watch man vs. food for the best burgers......nuf said......

..

Old November 7th, 2009, 05:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default Pizza, tamales, and Jo Jo's, catch or release

On Nov 5, 5:00*pm, DaveS wrote:
OK since we are talking food Ill try to make a fish connection.

A gastronomic event of regional if not World Class, importance,
(although in mid slurp that over used term might be uttered) is
the . . .

Annual West Coast Oyster Shucking Championship and Washington State
Seafood Festival held in early October at the Mason County fairgrounds
and airport in Shelton, Wa., a major oyster production area. It
attracts thousands, is cheap, Oysters incredibly fresh, prepped many
ways, lots of wine and artisanal beer outfits for tastes, coastal
music, kid's stuff, etc..

http://www.oysterfest.org

If you like oysters this 2-3 day affair should be a goal. Shelton is
on a southern reach of Puget Sound, in lumber country. Its a short
haul to the coast, the Wynoochee river for steelhead, the Chehalis
river system, monster beaches for clams, a bit of combat salmon
fishing etc.. If you want the kids to see a chunk of America making a
living from reasonably healthy forests and wetlands, this is a great
event in a visually exciting region.

Old November 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 6, 9:33*pm, DaveS wrote:

I almost forgot Xinh's. Vietnam's loss/ Shelton's gain.

http://www.xinhsrestaurant.com/about

Old November 7th, 2009, 06:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Nov 6, 10:03*am, "~^ beancounter ~^" wrote:
watch man vs. food for the best burgers......nuf said......

Idiot.

g.
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

John are most babies born in july in shelton washington......Ya know
what they say about oysters......Best pizza would be twin city pizza
on broadway in bangor maine.....Best burgers millhiem hotel millhiem
Pa.....or sportsmans club weikert pa....great chicken and best
barbaque pit i have seen Stans Pool coburn Pa.....hot dogs streamside
at ingleby or stans or anyplace I decide cook them..........best
grinder hoagie sub itialian sandwich damons augusta maine.......best
cheese steak CHUBBIES in philly......
Old November 7th, 2009, 01:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Best carp sandwiches, Joe Tess' Place, Omaha.
Frank Reid
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Nov 7, 5:03*am, Frank Reid © 2008 wrote:
Best carp sandwiches, Joe Tess' Place, Omaha.
Frank Reid

Seriously? Im game, is that like gefilte fish or what? Is it deep
fried?