Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid © 2010

Default Dandruff flies

On Nov 23, 11:40*am, Larry L wrote:
On Nov 20, 8:40*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:

Okay, big hole in my fly box. *Realized that all my flies are designed
for Eastern streams. *BFF.... Big Friggen Flies. *When you tie a
wiggle nymph with two size 8s, you got big flies. *However, Western
streams require something a bit finer. *Size 18-26 with an occasional
#32 are the primary flies used (though a size 14 pheasant tail will
take a serious fish, just don't tell the locals 'cause they'll tell
you it won't work).

Um, I've never met an experienced western *'local' that would tell you
a #14 PT won't work .... many times something else might work better,
though G * And, I, personally have caught fish on #28s just to say I
did it, but #26s are the smallest I've ever found a "real" use for ...
i.e. matching a hatch that needed matching to catch trout
systematically

BTW, has anyone tried this stuff for tiny flies .... thinking of
ordering some

http://tinyurl.com/2alpta2

one last thought ... I know how tempting winter tying can be, BUT,
IME * you really need to work from a real bug as your model to make a
serious difference in success level and it is very easy to end up with
dozens of flies that looked good to the tier in Dec but not the trout
in April. * Often it's just a slight profile difference or size
difference or ( wish Willi was still here to tell me I'm wrong :-
( *... color difference, *from the pattern in the book that makes a
improvement.

One thing I've started doing *.... when I have a hard time fooling
trout ... is making sure to pump the throat of any fish big enough I
luck into. * *This has been VERY educational. * It is amazing how
often these fish proved to be very, very selective and everything
recently eaten looked identical. * I'm prone to the "over technical"
approach to FFing, but even I have been surprised at just HOW
identical most of the recently eaten things often is in such
samples. * Measure, get a feel for color, and profile, tie that
evening and come back to the same place, same time, next day ... it
can be a rewarding experience, not just in numbers but satisfaction.
After all, FFing *is just a game and .... just as making a basket
without hitting the rim IS better than just making a basket ...
getting a take that looks identical to the ones to naturals IS better
than a splashy, nervous, one to a beetle or something ( IMHO ) even
though they both "score the same points" in the numbers world.

According to this, the Benecchi 12/0 is equivalent to 70 denier.
Looking for some of that 40 denier myself.
http://mvff.tripod.com/Reference/Denier.pdf
Frank Reid