Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
george9219

Default Dandruff flies

On Nov 21, 9:36*pm, DaveS wrote:
On Nov 21, 2:51*pm, george9219 wrote:

On Nov 21, 9:27*am, Tom Littleton wrote:

On 11/20/2010 11:40 PM, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:

Okay, big hole in my fly box. *Realized that all my flies are designed
for Eastern streams.

You fish Eastern streams in the early season. We use a lot of small
stuff later on in the year.

So, the question is, what is your favorite dandruff fly and where do
you use it?

I have to give you 4.....sorry.

1.Small Mayflies--who ranges of emerger,dun and spinners for two small
bugs: Tricos, and Pseudocleons(very small pale olives).These run #22-26
and can come into use on flatter water on most decent streams here.

2.Adams midges--no wings, just tail,body and hackle. I carry these in
#20-26, and use them in PA limestone creeks from June-October.

3.Griffith Gnats--the perfect mating midge. Most PA streams have midge
hatches from Sept-March. These work well in #20-26. Look for more
aggressive rises, generally in smooth glides, or the top of pools.

4.Thread midges--nothing but a thread body, slight bulge at head, and a
tiny clump of white CDC to spot them on the water. Good fly for fussier
feeders on individual insects. Good on the nastiest small limestoners..

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Tom

What Tom said. Also, if you see "sipping" rises and can't see what
they're taking, try your smallest ( mine is #30 on a Tiemco 2488 hook)
Griffith's Gnat. The tiny gnats double as a generic emerger.- Hide quoted text -

Side note: Ive always assumed that the Griffit's Knat was an imitation
of a CLUSTER of hatching midges? Not an individual insect. Any
insights on this/

Dave

The larger gnats imitate mating clusters, but the tiny ones, (#28 &
#30), work very well, (for me at least), as emergers. I'm tying these
on the Tiemco #2488, which is a short shank wide gap hook, and these
things are TINY. No way they are being taken as a cluster fly. As to
fly boxes, any small one will do. I carry a pair of tweezers to handle
the flies.. For tippet, I generally use 7X. Last week, I dropped down
to 8X for the first time in two years. These fish are getting really
picky. I generally fish down and across, and use a 3WT rod with a soft
tip. Also, I carry a fine needle to make sure the eye of the fly is
clear. A stray fiber from hackle or cdc in the wrong place will give
you fits trying to thread the fine tippet through the eye.