Old August 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Richard

Default Tying Rigs

"Tony" wrote in message
Am using 15lb with size 10, but 2 strands won't go through the eye.
Tony

BTW I don't normally use mono for rigs, if you are then 15lb would have too
large a diameter for a No10 hook ...... whereas something like a 15lb
Kryston Mantis Gold should be ok ....... 2 strands certainly go through the
eye of a No8 dead easy. I also reckon the Korda 10lb fluro will be ok with a
No10 hook, and make for a better balance/safety rig overall ..... although
other characteristics of the rig design should control safety.

Imo you don't need a big hook or strong line to land decent carp ...... the
majority of the strength is required to avoid crack-off on casting.
Certainly when pole fishing with a properly balanced set-up (pole top
through to hook) I would expect (in open water) to be able to land carp to
15lbs on a No16 hook and 5lb line with a medium elastic ....... better fun
than winding the fish in with a 2.75TC carp rod ;o)

No matter what you are doing though pole through to 2.75TC Carp rod (and all
the other options) you need to design the rig to suite the situation. I do
that for each swim at each venue. For example, I landed a 11lb 6oz common
carp on a No14 hook, 5lb line and medium (grey hydro) elastic on Friday (Peg
16) but if I had been at the same venue on Peg 18 that approach would have
been suicide.

Hope all that helps a bit .......... Richard