Old December 31st, 2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_31_]

Default Somerset Show 2008

AKSkim;102832 Wrote:
I agree Cdog... most don't demo. I noticed this year again Mr. Humphries
is staying in retirement and (so far) not listed to provide a casting
demo. Too bad.. man with great dignity and class.

I do sit in on most of the seminars. I enjoy listening to the various
techniques that each guide employs, and their PATTERNS! I am a habitual
note taker, even with the lights out. Paying attention and someday
finding yourself in a simular situation... helps out.

TL, I had a spey rod and just fooled around with it till one day saw
Drew make a few casts and signed up for a series of instructions. Well
worth every cent those lessons were I'll tell you.

/IMG

Joe has always been my mentor. I've learned and applied all his
techniques to my fly fishing style. He is the farthest from
conventional that I've ever seen, which is perfect for me cause I have
always strived to be different than the herd.

I was disappointed when he told me that his retirement was permanent.
He always loved teaching the kids. After his demo at the FF Show each
year, he would take my son and other boys aside and show them casting
techniques one on one. He was instrumental in my oldest son's love for
fly fishing. I wish he could be there for my 15 year old. Some day I
plan to follow his footsteps to Labrador for monster brookies.

I have heard that he still does some one on one in western PA.

LOL...I'm the other guy in the seminars taking notes in the dark.

Cdog

--
Corndog