Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Default Go cheap or big?

notbob wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
You don't have to spend a lot for a good Thompson A type vise
and a few good tools.

According to Fly Fisherman Magazine, it appears the "A" vise is no longer
available, but the "Pro" seems to be, and in a price range I can manage ($42).
Is it roughly the same vise, renamed? ...

I have no idea. My first vise was a cheap Indian Thompson A
knockoff and it did just exactly what it was supposed to do.
It held a hook. I really don't know anything about entry-level
vises in today's market.

Mr. Lamy had some good advice vis a vis the fly tying clubs.
Those guys would know about functional but inexpensive vises.
And I'm sure someone will chime in here too.

Good luck.

--
Ken Fortenberry