Old May 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
notbob

Default Go cheap or big?

I'm new to fly fishing, only since last Summer. I'm still pretty bad, but
my casting has improved and I love eating trout. I'm on a limited income so
flies can be expensive. I'd like to learn to tie my own. My question is,
would it be wise to start small with a basic kit like Scientific Anglers
($50@WM) till I decide whether or not to commit to this art, or should I
hold out for more expensive vise, etc, on the assumption that bad gear can
sour a newbie. I'm a firm believer in spending the $$ for quality, but OTOH
I may suck at fly tying. I'd love to hear some opinions. Thank you.

nb