Old December 30th, 2010, 03:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Allread

Default Any tips for fly-fishing the Yakima river?

On 12/28/2010 06:21 PM, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
On Dec 28, 7:12 pm, Mark Allreadnone@none wrote:
On 12/28/2010 06:57 AM, Frank Reid 2010 wrote:

On Dec 27, 11:40 pm, Mark Allreadnone@none wrote:
On 12/25/2010 08:51 PM, Bob wrote:

On Dec 25, 5:14 pm, Frank Reid wrote:
On Dec 16, 8:16 pm, Mark Allreadnone@none wrote:

I'm just another laid-off electronics tech., currently taking IT classes
here in eastern WA (Sorry to any ozzies, not that EWA) and hoping to
find time in a few months to knock the rust off of my fly-casting arm.

I've taken a couple of basic fly-tying classes, and it seems my old tech
skills work there too. Any thoughts on what types and sizes of wet or
dry flies might find success on the mighty Yakima River?

You might try this over at rec.outdoors.fishing.fly (leave out the
"tying")
Frank Reid

The Yakima usually gets a good hatch of Skwala's from mid-late March
and any good Skwala pattern size 10 -8 will produce through mid May.
Standards like PMD's, BWO's, Pheasant tails, and Gold ribbed hares
ears in sizes 16-12 are good the rest of the year.

Thanks for the info.
I've tied #16 Pheasant tail nymphs and Hare's ear nymphs in those
fly-tying classes, and I think I still have the instruction sheet
somewhere. I'll have to look up an easy Skwala pattern (probably both
nymph and adult?) online, which will help keep me occupied until IT
classes start for the winter quarter.
Oh, hey... There's a tutorial on YouTube! Now we're getting somewhere!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0rUpGC_mVY

Okay, I'll go back offline for a while... thanks again!

An IT guy going "off line?" Not until u surgically remove the DS3
from the pop on your skull.
Frank Reid
(except on stream)

Hey! I'm still just a student! They don't bring out the drill press and
the tap-and-die set until after graduation!
I'm hoping to find work in one of the little street-corner
computer-repair shops. It seems to me that would be a good way to find
out how much of what I'm being taught is obsolete, useless, or just
plain wrong.
Until then... An occasional chance to get a little fishing in should be
a nice way to retain some sort of sanity.

Go to work for a small to medium size company in the IT department
where you will be called upon to do all ends of the spectrum. Much
better learning environment where you will probably find an area to
concentrate on.
Frank Reid
(Fly Fisherman (kinda) and Computer Scientist (kinda))

I will definitely keep this in mind as I approach graduation.