Old December 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L[_2_]

Default Any tips for fly-fishing the Yakima river?

On Dec 28, 6:23*pm, Giles wrote:

One of those things that descriptions can never do justice to. *The
simple truth is that mending line will, one day, suddenly seem
natural. *It may take a while.

Till then, practice, practice, practice. *

One thing that has helped me approach nearly adequate at mending is to
realize that most times you have to add line to the system not just
move line. So make sure you have the needed extra line ready and
visualize throwing it into the place where it's needed to add more
slack. This WILL pick up what's already out there and move it,
usually, but makes it easier ( for me ) to avoid moving the fly in the
process.

One more thing ... I've redefined my 'poor mending' into "advanced
twitching tactics" for fishing things like damsel adults, caddis
dries, hoppers, etc. ... helps my ego :-)