Old December 29th, 2010, 02:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default Any tips for fly-fishing the Yakima river?

On Dec 28, 7:28*pm, Mark Allread none@none wrote:

The concept of "mending your line" is still sort of a mystery to me...
The descriptions in the books seem obscure on the subject.

One of those things that descriptions can never do justice to. The
simple truth is that mending line will, one day, suddenly seem
natural. It may take a while.

Till then, practice, practice, practice. Read, by all means, but the
only way to learn to do it is to do it.....a few thousand times.

I can
understand giving the line an extra flip as it settles to the river, but
once the line is stuck to the water..?

Yep, that's the hard part. I could describe it, but.....

Ah, well! Nobody starts out knowing everything!

Actually, many do. Some of them eventually get over it, though.

I'll look up the Skip's Nymph, and try to tie one, while I'm waiting for
the Adobe Flash software I ordered. I'll be learning to flash people
this winter! Good thing I already have an old raincoat.

Old raincoat is good, but by no means necessary. As is true of fly
fishing, there are innumerable ways of flashing successfully.....and
at a reasonable cost. Remember, it ain't the fiddlestick that makes
music.....it's the fiddler.

giles
impresario to the impecunious