Old May 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Chas Wade

Default Does anyone tie or use tube flies?

Herman Nijland wrote:
Herman Nijland wrote:
I'm not sure if I can really explain it, but I'll give it a go :-).
For pike I tied a couple of short tubes, 'dressed' with bucktail,
feathers and the usual hodgepodge of glitter and such. I more or
less
stuck to one color per tube.
Crimp a treble on the end of a piece of wire, and slide on a couple
of
tubes. That way you can easily change the color combination and size
of
your streamer.
I even made some small tubes with only lead wire, if I need to fish
the
streamers deep.
I'll see if I can get a picture on-line to clarify this g.

Picture (ok, a lousy one) at
http://home.planet.nl/~nijla141/piketubes.jpg.

--
Herman

Maybe not perfect focus, but the message comes across loud and clear.
I tried some of this last year, and will be doing more now for the
upcoming trip to Great Slave Lake. One nice thing about the multi-part
flies is that you can assemble a really monstrous fly. I hadn't
thought of the weight only tube, I tried the brass cone weights, but
they acted funny sliding up and down the leader as I retrieved the fly.
Lead on the tube sounds like the perfect solution.

Thanks for the great ideas,

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html