Old November 21st, 2008, 02:27 AM posted to alt.flyfishing,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,uk.rec.fishing.game
[email protected]

Default Fly Lines & Reels

Derek Moody wrote:
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Ģ100 for a reel - that makes me "reel"

:-)

For that I could get for or five of the reels I usually use -and- the lines
to fill 'em.
I hesitate to recommend lines mainly because I don't know who makes the
mill-ends I buy...

Cheerio,

Heh heh, I know who makes mine ( Mill Ends that is) , and I also know a
few of the major brands quite well. I still get quite a few sent for
testing and review, among other things, and I have even been known to
buy them occasionally as well!

Practically all the people I have recently taught, or even just been
fishing with (and usually "borrowing" my gear for a while), now have the
reels mentioned, and most also have the lines I recommend, but I only
recommend such things after I know exactly what they want them for.

The problem as such is still basically the same, and that is, what do
you want to use the line for?

The reel I mentioned can be obtained in some places for less than twenty
five quid, but is in my opinion, and as compared to the
price/application/suitability of practically all others used for
fresh-water and light salt-water fishing, worth at least three times the
price of the most expensive of such reels available.

In other words, I think itīs the best, regardless of price. If I could
buy a better reel for 250 pounds, then I would do so, but I canīt, and
so I simply buy the best for 25 pounds.

Since using these reels regularly, for a number of years, I have become
even more impressed with them as time went on. They are all still as
good as new, even though their five year warranty has in the mean time
run out. Spare spools, or even a second reel as backup is not a problem,
and the reels have all the possible advantages required of such a reel,
and none of the disadvantages. Although being extremely good valie for
money is very definitely an advantage in my opinion, it is only a
secondary advantage in this case.The primary advantages, and the same
citeria I would apply to any reel of any price, are much much greater.

Indeed, at this present moment in time, I donīt think there is a better
reel for the purpose in existence, at any price.

If anybody wants me to list the advantages, I will happily do so.

For anybody who doesnīt know me, I have no financial connections or
vested interest in the various tackle shops, companies etc. I am just
another angler looking for the best I can find, regardless of price, but
happy when I donīt have to worry about the price either!

TL
MC