Old July 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Ken Ward

Default Is Crayfish a Fish - EA Licence

"CS" wrote in message
I'm trapping american crayfish and do I need a licence?? The EA
website indicates that a licence is needed for "Anyone aged 12 years
or over who fishes for salmon, trout, freshwater fish or eels in
England and Wales is required by law to have an Environment Agency Rod
Fishing Licence."

Well, a crayfish is a shellfish, or more correctly a crustacean, and
as far as I am aware it is not a fish. I am also not using a rod, but
a trap. So in terms of plain english and definitions I do not require
a licence.

I think you will find that a "Trap" could be deemed to be an "Illegal
instument" if used unlicenced.
You need to read the Full conditions from the EA and not the Rod Licence
regulations.

Bye Laws are different from one region to another.

KW