Old December 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Willi

Default flashabou on nymphs

spittendrigh wrote:
On Dec 1, 9:22 am, "Larry L" wrote:

...I think it helps (like Larry, apparently) not to be locked into
any 'must-be-useful' fly tying ideology. Some techniques help
catch more fish. Some just make a better looking fly (to the tier).
Some are just fun to do. Tom Travis mentioned that in a fly tying
seminar last year, and I thought it was important.....Tom said
taking pride in your work meant finishing flies off in a way that
matters a lot more to you than the fish.

Good quote. Basically I feel that if you're fishing a "good" fly in the
right size ( I think there are lots of "good" patterns ), little changes
are very unlikely to make a difference to the fish. However, it
definitely gives you something to do at the vise without getting mind
numbingly bored bored bored tying the same thing all the time.

I have a small number of favorites that I tie every year and it seems
like each year I have a couple new favorites that may or may not last.
I've been doing this long enough now that a number of my older favorites
are "new" again because they've fallen out of use by other anglers.

Willi