Old December 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

Default flashabou on nymphs

"rw" wrote

..
It works great. No epoxy -- just a bare strand. It usually gets broken

I do a similar thing .... Phil Takatsuno gave me a couple of his nymphs, one
day out on Hebgen, and they had full wingcases made of many strands of
"chrome" crystal flash. They were effective but too gaudy for my taste, so
I made more subtle versions.

After the wingcase is tied down I double a single strand around the thread,
hold it towards the tail and then tie it down and form the head in one
action. I trim the resulting double strand very short, about half the
wingcase or so. It's been several years since I deceived myself into
believing this increases the fly's appeal and I remain .... deceived