Old November 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Default Pike traces

" One trace you can't buy is a weighted sink and draw special "

Good timing Derek, I was looking at that last night as looking at all the
lures and my past failures lure fishing I was thinking more along sink and
draw with a dead bait. In the old days I used to tie the bait to the trace
at point up the body. I did not do loads of pike fishing back then and did
not give it or lure fishing much of chance going, instead, for static dead
baits under a bung or on a lead. You could say I am a born again piking
virgin really.

With sink and draw I can do both I think just by letting the bait lie for
awhile if my arms start to ache ( due to my damn illness ) so I got the best
of both worlds but I will strike early it is taken on a rest period. I would
rather loose a fish than deep hook it.

I will let you know how it all goes on Thursday

--
Gandalf

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Gandalf
wrote:
Going to get the trace kits tomorrow as I am off for a days dedicated
pike
fishing on Thursday. I think I will use a smelt or herring rather than
bread
though.(;-) Basically I will be buying enough to make 10 traces and
spending
£15 and I will not need more than ten traces this winter as pikeing will
be
done every other week I think.

Enough to prove your technique and even to experiment a little, good idea.

One trace you can't buy is a weighted sink and draw special - a 1oz bomb
on
the end, a strong single about 1" uptrace from it, a couple of trebles
spaced according to the size of bait and an added twist wire loop above
that.
The trace needs to be a little longer than the conventional snap. In this
case trebles are still probably best but I may experiment one day.