Old November 11th, 2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Default Pike traces

Going to get the trace kits tomorrow as I am off for a days dedicated pike
fishing on Thursday. I think I will use a smelt or herring rather than bread
though.(;-) Basically I will be buying enough to make 10 traces and spending
£15 and I will not need more than ten traces this winter as pikeing will be
done every other week I think.

I am going to travel light so I can move round giving it half an hour in
each swim. I have seen several pike into double figures in about 5 swims so
I will have.

I have had trout on floating bread before, as a kid we used to float a bit
of crust under the old road bridge in Cricklade. It used to hammer through
and then float in an eddy on the other side where it would be taken by
almost anything that happened to be there. Great fun trying to pull it back
through a mass of water doing 60 miles an hour as well. A 3 lb chub seemed
more like a 20 lb pike.

--
Gandalf

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Gandalf
wrote:
Hi Derek,

Been looking at it and will make my own I think. I had yet another trip
and
a bag full of bream to 4.5 lbs but now I have the method down so well I
can
do it almost every time it is getting boring so I am going to try and get
few pike for a few weeks. I am sure there are a few good ones in there
even
though it a relatively small lake plus I do have access to larger lake
renown for its large pike.

Just back from a day on the lower Stour - which is in serious need of
rain -
4 chub, best two 5 1/2 lb and 4 3/4 lb, half a dozen roach 8 -12 oz each,
few dace and minnows and a jack pike - but: *everything* took bread
floatfished on #8 hooks tied direct to 4lb reel line...

So belay everything said about wire traces for pike ;-)

Not heard of this large circle of hooks thing but it sounds a bit
medieval
if I take it literally, I have enough trouble not getting a treble hooked
on
things around me.

No, circles are a sort of extreme beak single hook.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/