Old November 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Default Pike traces

Hi Will,

Many thanks for the heads up on that. I did a search myself and found one
place that sells them mail order. Link below although I am sure you already
know of it.

http://www.reelfishing.co.uk/Sakuma_...oks.html#a1785

I totally missed the concept of hook shape and sort of went for the multiple
hook idea after seeing something about it a few months ago,I have to admit I
should have realised I had it wrong as Derek would never support the idea of
multiple hooks.

I also found a site explaining the science behind the circle hook, very
interesting.

--
Gandalf

"Will Wilkinson" wrote in message
In message , Gandalf
writes
Not heard of this large circle of hooks thing but it sounds a bit medieval
if I take it literally, I have enough trouble not getting a treble hooked
on
things around me.

IMO Circle hooks are the way to go for many (possibly most) bait fishing
for predators. They're basically a large single with a pronounced circle
shape to the bend - the point is aimed at the shank around 1/3 of the way
between the eye and the start of the bend.

I've been reading up on them for a while and am now trialling circles for
Perch and will also be using them for Pike later in the winter. They
greatly reduce deep hooking and ease hook removal - 95+% of fish are
hooked in the scissors. One point to make is that you don't need to strike
as such - just tighten/lift into the fish after a take. A conventional
strike simply pulls the hook out of the fishes mouth, a much slower action
is required to set the circles.

They're not to easy to come by on this side of the pond, a few tackle
shops stock a limited selection, try fly tying suppliers if you find them
difficult to source or order from the US where they're much more commonly
used.

Will
--
e-mail news dot will at lancre dot net
'98 300Tdi Defender 110 CSW, 1/12th NB Sometimes