Old November 10th, 2007, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Default Pike traces

Hi Derek,

Been looking at it and will make my own I think. I had yet another trip and
a bag full of bream to 4.5 lbs but now I have the method down so well I can
do it almost every time it is getting boring so I am going to try and get a
few pike for a few weeks. I am sure there are a few good ones in there even
though it a relatively small lake plus I do have access to larger lake
renown for its large pike.

Not heard of this large circle of hooks thing but it sounds a bit medieval
if I take it literally, I have enough trouble not getting a treble hooked on
things around me.

Got caught in one hell of a storm Thursday as well, heavy rain and high
winds for nearly an hour. All I could do was sit there and hold the brollie
like a lance into the wind while it bent and the rain was driven under it
into my face. I must be getting old as I hated that.

--
Gandalf

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , Gandalf
wrote:

Anyone got any idea on making your own pike traces. It seems it is all
out
there to buy but has anyone done it and can they let me know the basic
costs

I never have trusted commercial pike traces.

I'm still using a couple of bulk spools of monel I bought when I was about
15 ... I reckon the 14lb test will run out and have to be replaced within
decade but the 20lb spool should see me out.

( I can not browse my local angling store so you get in a position where
you
feel obliged to buy ).

I hate that sort of store. Are there no others within reach?

I did note the trebles seems expensive at nearly £5 a pair which seemed
odd
as a premade trace is only £2.75.

It's *much* cheaper to buy hooks by the box - 1000 commercial long line
hooks for under 50ukp I noticed when I was in a *commercial* (not yachty)
chandler the other day. I have the remains of a 25 box of #2 trebles here
with a 3.75 ukp price sticker still on it...

While you're at it consider switching to single large circle hooks for
live/deadbaiting - once I've finished the current boxes of trebles I don't
think I'll be buying more for trace making (I'll carry on with trebles on
lures though.) I'll be looking for 100's circles rsn - the chandler above
had 1000 stainless 7/0 circle hooks for 75ukp but that's both a little
large
and too many for me atm - it suggests a guide of around 6-8ukp/100 for
plain steel circles a couple of sizes smaller - and I don't use stainless
hooks anywhere where lost hooks might endanger those who come after. If I
lose it I want it to rust away.

So any gems of wisdom would be greatly appreciated please.

Gems? Not sure, this is what I do:

I use solid monel. You might like to look out for soft 'knottable' wire -
chum swears by it but I don't like it for multi-hook rigs. With monel I
make a haywire twist. Beware, cut monel has a chisel end and unless
turned
away shreds fingers.

(view this in a fixed width fount)
__
(__\\\\-\-\-\-\-------
close open

Make a loop, trapping hook eye, split ring, swivel or whatever is
required.
Make 4 close turns followed by 4 open turns - that's all you need.
To make up a multi hook trace with eyed trebles just pass the wire once
through the eye - at the waterside position the hook to suit the bait and
then wrap the wire round the shank 4 times. (Eyeless trebles need
whipping
with fine wire, or kevlar and varnish.)

For flyfishing you need a rigid hook connection so thread the wire through
the eye of the hook, take it around the end of the weld and back through
the
eye going the other way, twist as before. Dress the fly after wiring.

Do not let monel kink. (Other way to 'cut' monel - make single twist kink,
pull hard, open kink, pull wire apart with bare hands. This leaves the
other sort of nasty, sharp, sticking up, point.)

Hth, cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/