Old January 17th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
briansfly

Default Muskie Fly

Stan wrote:

Thanks Brian,

I emailed the guy, but all he would tell me was to "buy his tying
video."

Tying epoxy head flies isn't a bad chore, but I was puzzled as to
what/how he mixed in to get the sparkle. I guess as a last resort, a
person could just coat the finished head with one of those glitter
glue pens.

Speaking of the show, I have never fished for Muskies, let alone on a
fly rod. After watching the show, my sporting blood was flowing!

Stan

Stan,

That's was great customer service, eh. :-( The sparkle part is not a big
deal. They showed him doing it on the show. Just buy some glitter at a
crafts store, and mix it in the epoxy. Colors range from plain
metallics, to rainbow colors. I also think you can buy different flakes,
from fine, to coarse. Do some trial mixtures. It doesn't take much
glitter to get a sparkle effect. As for the fly itself, I wish I could
remember what the collar and head looked like.

brians

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:15:24 GMT, briansfly
wrote:

Stan wrote:

I wonder if anyone watched the Flyfishing show on the TV cable station
VS this past Sunday. They were fishing for Muskies in Boulder Junction
Wisconsin. I'd like to tie the fly they were using (I missed part of
the program, so didn't get all the info) It had a sparkle head. It
looked like he may have used some epoxy and some glitter to construct
this head?

Any info on this will be appreciated!

Stan

I saw the show. Sorry, but I think I missed part of the show too....4
year olds can do that to fishing show. ;-) Anyway, as best I can tell,
the tail was extra long bucktail. Not sure of the colors, but purple,
and or red seem to be right. The body was a very bushy chenille like
Estaz. Color seemed gold or olive? The head/collar I don't
remember......................Just dawned on me. One of the guys was the
local fly shop owner/guide, and he tied the flies. DOH!

http://www.wetieit.com/

Hope this helps

brians