Old August 31st, 2006, 12:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Jim

Default Tying Kits?

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
"Jack Schmitt" wrote in message
news

"Jim" wrote in message
I haven't tied since the early 80's and would like to get back into it
this fall. I'm looking for a recommendation on a tying kit. I still
have the vise and tools, in need of materials. I recently received a
Kaufmann's Streamborn catalog and see that they sell tying kits.

Thanks

IMHO, if I were you, I would forgo the kits. Most of the material is
second rate. In our tying classes, we recommend you decide what flies
you want to tie and then buy the material for them. By doing this you
will be assured of getting first rate materials.

Kaufmann's Streamborn makes a special effort to explain the deficiency of
most tying kits and emphasizes that their kits are stocked with first
quality materials. This is what made me wonder if some kits may be
worthwhile. I want to tie a variety of dry/wet/streamers and nymph
patterns which will be expensive whether I go with their combined kits or
on my own.

Even if the materials are top quality, you still end up getting a pile of
stuff that you may or may not use. Avoidance is about the closest you
will ever come to consensus on any issue among experienced fly
tiers......especially among those who started with a kit.

Bear in mind that most of the materials you'll use are actually pretty
cheap. Aside from a few exotic materials like jungle cock, about the only
thing that's really expensive is premium quality hackle......and that is
something you can buy in small quantities as needed, rather than forking
out the big bucks for a whole neck. Many materials can be had for lower
prices (even for much larger quantities) from arts and crafts suppliers,
fabric stores, hardware stores and many other sources. For example, you
could spend several dollars for a small card wound with a yard or two of
chenille at a fly tying materials vendor, while a trip to a well stocked
crafts supplier might result in a large spool for the same price or lower.
Many years ago, I found several sizes and colors of chenille at a store
that specialized in selling junk picked up from a variety of sources.
Each large spool was wound with a couple hundred yards. They cost me 50
cents each.

Wolfgang

Good point on the craft stores! I'll keep that in mind.

Jim