Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stephen Welsh

Default Losing fish at the tying bench: method 2047

pittendrigh wrote:
Stephen Welsh wrote:
Clousers on Circle hooks.

The only really decent fish for the day slammed my clouser so hard the
epoxied eyes were pulled back along and _around_ the shank ...
circle + slipped eyes leads to a gape - 0 ... no hookup.

Interesting post. I'm not 100% sure why this has anything to do
with circle hooks. I've had bonefish flies slide and twist on
regular hooks too.

The slipped eyes rotated around the shank and closed the gape.
On a standard hook there would still have been some gape.

I like to lightly sand the (stainless steel) shank
with 220 sand paper first, prior to building the body. Then I soak the
body's foundation wraps with CA glue, prior to building the fly
as a whole......the sanded shank gives the glue something to bite onto.
Makes a big durability difference.

Sanding's not a bad idea, Sandy.

;-)

Steve (*cough*hack*wheeze* - lurgy season is up*sniff*on us)