Old August 21st, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pittendrigh

Default Losing fish at the tying bench: method 2047

Stephen Welsh wrote:
Clousers on Circle hooks.

The only really decent fish for the day slammed my clouser so hard the
epoxied eyes were pulled back along and _around_ the shank ...
circle + slipped eyes leads to a gape - 0 ... no hookup.

Interesting post. I'm not 100% sure why this has anything to do
with circle hooks. I've had bonefish flies slide and twist on
regular hooks too.

I like to lightly sand the (stainless steel) shank
with 220 sand paper first, prior to building the body. Then I soak the
body's foundation wraps with CA glue, prior to building the fly
as a whole......the sanded shank gives the glue something to bite onto.
Makes a big durability difference.