Old November 26th, 2005, 05:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Vise lights

"Randy" wrote in message
ink.net...
looking for a "portable" /perm(?) vise light that's small ,bright and cool
(temp) for my tying vise that I'll be able to take on the road with me.
One that I'm looking at is a McKenzie. Any comments, recommendations?

Hi,
I looked through the responses. I have a McKenzie. I works, but I still
wasn't getting illumination I wanted, even though I was seeing guides use
them a few years ago.
I ended up going to a Zelco Micro Halogen Lamp.
Has a pedestal base and clamp base. I use the pedestal base. Options for
various configurations.
I think Dick Talleur (sp)? used to promote them. (attention to detail guy
as I recall watching him tye a fly once or twice)
Looked at the Otts. Good light, but the model I looked at didn't give me
enough clearance for me winding the bobbin. Apparently popular, in the
sewing/quilting industry because the display I saw didn't have much
inventory, and I certainly believe the sewing and quilting folks.
I need the clearance from bobbin to vise . . .and illumination. I want the
'lamp" generally on top of the vise. I also want the option to move the
lamp around a lot. I also like, for myself, a kind of rotary vice option
for the vice. I only use three so far . . . Renzetti , Danica, Regal. (the
first two in-line and the Regal a close option.
As mentioned before . . .hot on the bulbs is hot.. . . uh . . . er . . . not
that I've ever done that sort of thing. like touching the bulb. . . but I
know a friend, of a friend, who may have done it. (sigh)
For Frank:
I'm sure you may have mentioned it in the past , but what model of the Ott
are you using?
DaveMohnsen
Denver