Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Vise lights

I have one, and it does travel well. Sometimes its the only real light in
the room, as "mood" lighting is pretty common in some hotels, and some of
the fishing camps seem to prefer to place the single light in the room as
far from a useful location as possible. Functionally, the McKenzie works
pretty well. The little cover around the bulb is hard to orient so that the
opening is pointed toward the vise jaws though, since it threads onto the
flexible arm. The threads on mine stop at a point that prevents enough
rotation to get it pointed where I'd like. I had to drill out the mounting
hole to accomodate a Thompson A vise, then bought a Renzetti, so now the
hole is fractionally sloppy.

The one big warning I have for you is that the bulb cover gets EXTREMELY hot
after a few minutes of use. If you lean in to get a better look a fly, make
sure that you reposition the lamp first. I can attest to the fact that you
can (and will) get a painful burn on your forehead, bald spot, cheek, etc.
Worse, if you grab the wrong part of the lamp (i.e., the bulb cover), it can
seriously affect your ability to tie flies for a while.

HTH,

Jim Ray
"Randy" wrote in message
ink.net...
looking for a "portable" /perm(?) vise light that's small ,bright and cool
(temp) for my tying vise that I'll be able to take on the road with me.
One that I'm looking at is a McKenzie. Any comments, recommendations?