Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Vise lights

"Randy" wrote...
looking for a "portable" /perm(?) vise light that's small ,bright and cool
(temp) for my tying vise that I'll be able to take on the road with me.
One that I'm looking at is a McKenzie. Any comments, recommendations?

That McKenzie light looks pretty nice. Local fly shop had one, and I
remember it behaving nicely for the short period of time I played with it.

By 'on the road', do you mean camping or are you in Gierach's 'stage 3' --
cabins, hotels, etc.? If the former, I use an LED headlamp. Specifically,
the Petzl Tikka. Sometimes the Black Diamond Ion. Both are great lights, but
the battery life on the Tikka is about 10 times better than that of the Ion.
The Ion is brighter and lighter, so your call on what's important here.

There are many different LED lights available. Some probably better than
others. A couple that are not 'headlamps'...:

http://tinyurl.com/832ox

http://tinyurl.com/e2y5f

(both links to REI.com)

If you're in cabins/hotels/etc., looks like it may be pretty hard to beat
that McKenzie..

Cheers,
Dan
.... with apologies to the late Mr. Kerouac