Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:24 PM
W. D. Grey

Default Is This Really Fly Fishing

In article , pgiblin
writes
Now, I am open minded and feel that people should be allowed to fish how
they like (within the rules of the water that they are fishing.)

However, I went fishing yesterday (small stillwater) and got chatting to a
guy about his set ups etc, and he showed me the following.......Large
fluorescent bite indicator, leader with point fly and dropper. Both 'flies'
were grub imitations which looked like long maggots.

Well to me this is virtually float fishing with a couple of worms/maggots
on.

So if I was fishing with a deer hair very buoyant fly on the top dropper
and buzzers on the other dropper and point, this would give exactly the
same effect. I'm not against the use of sight bobs, and don't consider
them as floats. Suitably buoyant flies or CDC pattern will do the same
thing.

I recall an angler fishing with a large lure - it might well have been a
biggish VIVA and winding it in with his fixed spool reel. We argued
that he was spinning, the fishery owner considered it fishing with a
fly. Spinning was NOT allowed. The angler was a good customer, so the
owner was lenient and suffering from tunnel vision methinks.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk