Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

Default My new adams pattern

In article . com, Da
wrote:
This is my new adams pattern. Here is the picture link
http://www.versacorp.cn/picImg/Adams-Big.jpg . Wish the pattern could

Hmm. Browser keeps timing out waiting for a response - is your server maxed
out?

bring some encouragements but not teasing.

Hook: 539 8#
Wings: grizzly hackle tips tied over the body
Tail: grizzly hackle barbs
Body: lavender floss

I've usually seen fur, muskrat I think, dubbed. Why the lavender? What
does it represent?

Hackle: grizzly hackle tip

Maybe the hook I use is a little bigger. I saw most of other tie with
10-16 hooks. But I think the 10-16 hooks are very small. So what are
your comments?

Match the hooks to the size of the fly on the water. I usually tie the
standard patterns in a couple of sizes.

AIui the Adams (Another fly named for a person - not the originator though.)
is -the- classic US dry fly. For us the nearest equivalent is probably the
gold ribbed hare's ear. A good standby when there's little hatching or
when the hatch is so sparse you can't identify it.

I'm going to sound dismissive here, but with the possible, occasional,
exception, of classic chalkstreams and maybe smooth pools on limestone rivers
all these small, brown, and boring little flies are pretty much
interchangeable most of the time - imo anyway.

Often it's more important that -I- can see the fly than to make an exact
match - the fish don't mind.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/