Old December 26th, 2006, 02:48 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
quietguy

Default Dingy or V-Nose Punt?

Hi All

Soon I will be off touring (Oz) in a 4WD and caravan, and want to take a
car
top boat to do some fishing and waterway exploring.

However, I am not sure which shape boat is best, and am getting
conflicting advice from the several dealers I have approached.

Some tell me the VNose punts are best because they are stable for
fishing while the Vnose makes them OK when the waves come up a bit

Others tell me the vnose punts are only good for rivers and lakes as
they wil not handle the chop and waves that you get in bays and esturies

Buggered if I know which way to go, and the boat mfgs don't give out
info, they say talk to the dealer.

Due to weight restrictions (top of Prado) I am limited to something
around 50 to 80kgs, and since health is poor I can't carry a big motor.
I will use a roof top loader to get the boat up and down from the roof.

I will mostly be fishing in rivers, lakes, bays, and esturies (eg
Forster lakes, the Hawsbury, the Murray, Botany Bay, Sydney harbour,
etc) - maybe the ocean some times but only
if it is VERY VERY calm, and not far from shore.

Advice most welcome and appreciated

David

PS launching should not be a problem as I will take a folding trailer on

the back of the van