Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:59 PM
Phil.L

Default fish finder

Simon Atkinson wrote:
::: Is it me or does any one else find some of the posts a little bit
::: cynical? In stead of looking for good points people seem to be too
::: interested in slagging off.
::
:: if you're not prepared to accept the opinions you asked for, feel
:: free to ignore them.
::
:: maybe when you've been an angler for a long time, and you've seen
:: all kinds of bait, tackle, reels etc launched in a blaze of
:: publicity, bought them, thrown them away, and gone back to tried and
:: trusted methods which have been used for decades, you may become a
:: bit cynical too!
::
::
: oooh!!!!!!!
: just a lad me only thirty odd years fishing under the belt, never
: really gone out and bought the latest gear though, nothing I like
: more that fishing the waggler, even made my own, sometimes nothing
: pleases me more than just watching the fish, I just thought that
: seeing a fish feed on free offerings and approaching the bait might
: be informative as well as add an extra dimension to fishing, not that
: I would do more that a couple of times as I do enjoy the anticipation
: of watching the quill bob and weave then sink or sail away attached
: to my chosen quarry (hopefully) so please do not assume other people
: are ignorant or uneducated in their views -it's rude-

i never implied you were uneducated nor ignorant, i simply pointed out that
you asked for views concerning this bit of kit (£188 BTW) and i offered an
opinion, which you then said was cynical.

:
: also there was a view that when fish finders first became widely
: available (decades ago) there was an opinion that the signal from the
: transducer could be picked up by the fish and that they would learn
: that it was a danger signal so any continual or persistent use would
: be detrimental to fishing.

to be honest, i've seen more 'new fangled tackle' fall by the wayside and
get largely ignored by the angling fraternity, than what has been adopted as
a good idea.

some good ideas:

baitrunner reels.
bedchairs.
ultra thin fishing lines.
extra strong hooks.
good quality poles and accessories.
baitneedles.

bad ideas:

plastic fake baits, esp bread which is a quid a ton for the real stuff.
fishfinders.
baitboats. for 99% of cases they are unnessecary.
silicon everlasting boilies - i mean, why?
+ everything else thats had rave reveiws in AT for the past decade and half,
but you never see in any tackle shops.

same as you've just said, theres nothing better than the simples forms of
fishing (waggler in your case) and i enjoy stalking wary carp in the
margins, with nothing more than a handful of expander pellets, a few slices
of hovis, and just a hook and rod.
the more complicated things become tacklewise, the less chance you have of
catching fish.

JM2P