Old March 17th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Pepperoni

Yeah, it's nice. The old mill dam stops the fish from moving up river. The
spawning carp lay in rows all along the face of the dam, and the flatheads
follow, presumably feeding on the spawn.
There is a quiet pool where I fish. The current runs in a slow eddy
*upstream* where the old mill building stands. The city has paved a landing
on the river and installed a railing. It is a little used municipal park;
above the dam the river is much wider, and a floating dock is provided.
(above the dam)

I catch a lot of carp using frozen corn. I use a 6' graphite ultralight rod,
but 25# spiderwire. I took several 30 pounders last year. Above the dam, I
have a huge semi-circular arc cut in the weeds. I let the big ones run, and
the spiderwire cuts the weeds off short.

Pepperoni

"Deepwater" wrote in message
Sounds like a nice fishin' hole. I have to wait untill 3rd week in May
before I can fish legaly. Probably not an issue as the ice may not be gone
by then anyhow. Hope for some nice weather soon.
"Pepperoni" wrote in message

"Deepwater" wrote in message
So....is there anybody out there? I've got a few weeks and a few feet

of
snow to wait for, but I can't wait for the season. Anybody else in the

same
boat(no pun intended)

Yes. Waiting on the weather here, too. Snow is scarce here, but temps

still
too low for my usual dawn expeditions.

I fish below a small dam where the cats follow the carp when they spawn.
During that time, the flatheads can't resist my hot dog baits. My usual
plan is to be bankside at dawn and for 2 hours after. The pool I fish

stays
dark until the sun peeks above the trees.

An early warm-up could get me started, a blizzard could be a set-back;

at
this point, it could go either way.

Pepperoni
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/flathead.htm