Old January 17th, 2008, 01:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Conan The Librarian

Default Silly tying with floss (dental) question

Larry L wrote:

My question is simple ...why?

My answer is even simpler: Why not? :-)

What traits does dental floss have that other materials lack?

That's what I'm trying to find out. :-)

If you are going to go to all the trouble to die it there must be something
very special about it ?? but what escapes my limited imagination. ( when on
considers the dozens of other 'string like' materials available in every
possible shade and tone )

Rather than go out and try to buy up every possible shade and tone,
I like the idea of just tinting (coloring with a waterproof marker) it
myself as I need it. I also like that it seems to form nice segmented
bodies very easily. If it also floats well and is durable, then it's
a good alternative to some of the other stuff folks use for dry fly
bodies such as biots and quills.

The bigger question might be: Why do any of us use biots or quills
for bodies? Why do some guys go to craft stores and root around in
the yarn or the feathers? Why do some guys save the fur from their
dogs or cats for tying?

Chuck Vance (because ... just because)