Old January 16th, 2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

Default Silly tying with floss (dental) question

On Jan 17, 12:21 am, "Larry L" wrote:
"Mike" wrote

Asking "why" in regard to many materials used for fly-dressing, unless
they are used a a result of very specific properties is a bit
pointless. Often, the answer will be "because it was there".

Although I'm certain you are right about the most common answer,

I think that choice of materials is a key factor in all design, including
flies ....

That is undoubtedly true, but one is always limited to what is
available. There are just more things available nowadays.

At the time it was popular, it was the best available material for the
job. It is still used for blow lines, and a few other things.

TL
MC